PDA

View Full Version : Very tought spot against very wierd LAG

Jihad
01-01-2007, 12:29 PM
First off, let me say that I'm starting to hate poker, mostly because for whatever reason poker hates me. I'm at about a 10 BI downer and I think my play probably reflects that as I'm getting nitier than ever, and I'm already a nit. My first hand of the new year, I can't make this up I got stacked with AA in the BB, so I'm starting off my day tilted and close to mouse breaking.

Reads:
This guy is a LAG, but wierd like I've never really seen at this level before. When I played higher I used to see this all the time, but down here this guys out of place. He's always bordering on good/atrocious. His big mistakes are huge big ones, like 3 and 4 betting WAY over pot. I've shoved on him very light OOP several times after pot PF(1.75) and he RRs to 8 or 9, and I feel like I put him in his place a bit. He also put 2 full BI's in the middle w/QQ v AA after raising a $7 reraise to $100 (all in). He floats like its his job, but overall I'm beating him pretty well at this point over 3 tables, and there's been decent [censored] talking so he may be getting personal.

All that said I feel like this is a very interesting hand given history, but mostly stack sizes and position. I feel like if I'm good here I'm getting zero more dollars out of it, and if I'm beat, I'm obv crushed.

Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
4 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
Hero (UTG): $91.20
CO: $254.85
SB: $8.85
BB: $49.5

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif ($0.75, 4 players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, CO calls $1.75, SB folds, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($4.25, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $12.50</font>,

Jihad

RepulseMonkey
01-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Make it 38ish if he pushes idk flip a coin. If you just call the only card you really want to see on the turn is an ace

from your info he probably reraises 9's+ and AQ,KQ maybe even QJ behind you. so your only real worry is if he calls behind you with QT-9 but Good chance he has JT. If he's not leaving the table in a hurry the money will be coming back your way.

orange
01-01-2007, 01:32 PM
repulse,
raise/folding is nasty.

OP,
I would call and probably go pretty far with this hand. 3-bet/fold is yuck. I would either call and b/f the turn or call and c/c anything vs a bad LAG.

SCBielski
01-01-2007, 01:44 PM
What kind of postflop aggression are we looking at here? You talked a lot about his preflop play but how often does he three bet you on the flop/turn/river? If this is a new play then I would be more apt to raise to around $38, like repulse said. If he has made this play before, you should hopefully have some information on his three betting range postflop. If he has done this a lot with draws then I think you should be raising $38 and folding to a push, whereas if he has done this more with decent to good hands you may want to call and re-evaluate (although it's not likely he'll slow down on the turn unless he's a smart LAG and checks behind with his draw when you check him the turn). This is definately a tough spot. I play a semi-LAG style myself, so based on expierence I put him on a draw or a 9. His thinking is that this is a standard c-bet on the flop and he has a good enough hand to defend against it. Always stay one step ahead of the LAG, holla.

AKQJ10
01-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Sounds like someone I played with recently, same stakes, same site. PM me if you want me to look up the name so we can compare notes.

I think this is a push (EDIT: sorry, I missed the stack size -- see below) given Villain's profile. I pretty much guarantee you he's thinking (1)You don't likely have a queen or 99 (2) he can get you off a good hand by representing at least a queen.

Now, good players like this will make sure to occasionally have the monster, and they will get paid off. Bad players will either do the bluff overbet so much that they donk away the money they make when they get paid off. Really bad players who attempt this style will slowplay their sets to the river and pay off when they get drawn out on. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If this opponent tends toward the good side, you have no obligation to play against him. Even if he's the bad sort, it's a high-variance badness. In your present mindset, you might want to play against lower-variance opponents.

EDIT: In light of the stack sizes, pushing isn't good. He will fold if he doesn't have the monster. I don't think reraise - fold to push is quite so bad; most maniacs are going to figure that you have something you're willing to go all the way with and only push if they think they're ahead. (Whether you call the 4-bet push depends on how maniacal / ballsy you read him for.) But I think calling down no matter what might be preferable; against compulsive bluffers is one of the classic "call &gt; raise" situations.

Jihad
01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I should have mentioned that this is the first time he's taken this line on this type of board, and he's had a tendancy to float. Again, the 4 or 5 times he's floated I've either CR'd the turn (air once, monster once) or check-check to the river with the winner on dangerous board. The stacks made this a gross spot, because if I raise I'm gonna be in a wierd place, he either folds (ok), calls (wtf), or reraises (vomit). I will tell you straight up I'm not comfortable felting this here. Like I said, he's wierd, but not retarded.

AKQJ10
01-01-2007, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I should have mentioned that this is the first time he's taken this line on this type of board, and he's had a tendancy to float.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that changes things from my original perception. Folding is weak but given the stack sizes and your read, i agree that you don't want to be staking your stack on AA here. I don't think 3-bet/fold is awful here. Villain would have to be give you a lot of credit to 4-bet a straight draw expecting a fold, and a combo draw seems unlikely. But calling and giving your opponent a tough decision whether to fire the second barrell may be preferable.

Arrgh, I suck at decisions like this. It sounds like your opponent is selectively aggressive and gives you tough decisions, so change games.

Check_The_Nuts
01-01-2007, 05:21 PM
3betting then folding AA here is terrible. This would only be good if he had a wide raising range on the flop, and it was cheap to do so. Then he would often have air and just fold. This isn't the case. Oh, another time it might be good is if his range was such that we often had him beat, and wanted him to push. Like on a 246 board, and villian is capable of 4bet valuebluffing with any pair...

If you call, the turn gets really crappy. If you bet, a decent lag is going to read that as a crappy hand that doesn't want to go to showdown. I think checking the turn is best, then probably folding to a bet (he's often going to just check behind his marginal hands, and you beat all of those).

I honestly think bet/fold the flop, or bet/call, then check/fold turn are probably close in value.

AKQJ10
01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3betting then folding AA here is terrible. This would only be good if he had a wide raising range on the flop, and it was cheap to do so. Then he would often have air and just fold. This isn't the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP: [ QUOTE ]

This guy is a LAG, but wierd like I've never really seen at this level before. When I played higher I used to see this all the time, but down here this guys out of place. He's always bordering on good/atrocious. His big mistakes are huge big ones, like 3 and 4 betting WAY over pot. I've shoved on him very light OOP several times after pot PF(1.75) and he RRs to 8 or 9, and I feel like I put him in his place a bit. He also put 2 full BI's in the middle w/QQ v AA after raising a $7 reraise to $100 (all in). He floats like its his job, but overall I'm beating him pretty well at this point over 3 tables, and there's been decent [censored] talking so he may be getting personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet/fold may well be awful, but only if you think that the information you're purchasing isn't worth the price you're paying for it.

I don't see how you can say that him raising with air, or at least with something that folds to a 3-bet, would be unimaginable, given the OP's description.

That said, I don't really like 3-bet/fold. If you can convince me that another line is preferable then I'm willing to be sold.

Bet/fold on flop: If this opponent is as aggressive as the OP believes, you're going to fold a lot of good hands on paired flops. I could accept this much of the time, maybe even 70%, but at some point I think you're going to have to take a stand.

Bet/call raise: I guess that's standard WA/WB theory. But when does it leave you in a better position than a 3-bet? If and only if Villain doesn't fire another barrel on the turn. (Also only if a blank turns' but the only real viable draw is JT.) Do you fold then? Get stubborn and call down?

Getting checked to isn't a zero probability, especially if he was semibluffing, but do you then bet the turn? How does that differ from a 3-bet? More likely to get called? It certainly gives a draw another card, though there aren't many viable draws.

Eager to hear a turn plan from those who think 3b-fold is so bad.

I still say to change tables if this opponent is constantly giving you tough decisions. It's not about machismo; it's about making money from worse players.

Check_The_Nuts
01-01-2007, 09:41 PM
3 bet folding suck. If lag has trips, its the nuts and your throwing money at him. If he has nothing, then fine maybe he folds. But at the highest limits, ppl actually 4bet all in against villians who like to take these weird 3bet line with 6 high.

The lag firing more barrells is a good thing,and is one reason the check/call line is better than trying to 3bet the guy off his hand.

Jihad
01-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I could have check/called the flop I guess but that opens me up I think.