PDA

View Full Version : 25 NL How to cut losses with AA

jvans
12-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Full Tilt Poker
$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
SB: $6.95
BB: $24.75
Hero (UTG): $25
MP: $59.60
CO: $39.55
BTN: $23.60

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($0.35, 6 players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, CO folds, BTN calls $1, SB folds, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($3.35, 3 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.50</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $5</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $2.50

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif [5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif] ($13.35, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $15</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $10 returned to MP

<font color="black">River:</font> 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif [] ($23.35, 1 players)
No action

After turn raise i know im beat, i was just wondering if its possible to play the hand differently and lose less. If i check turn and he bets out i feel like this could represent some donk playing KJ or JQ poorly, so i feel like by betting out a hand like tp would flat call and anything better would reraise me. thoughts?

dankus
12-31-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't think there is a way to lose less from they way you played it.

Any reason why you made such small bet into the pot on the turn? Were you trying to block it?

Waingro
12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
That is a pretty drawy flop, I really like a 3bet to ~$13. As played Iīd check that turn. See what he does. Donīt bet $5, that is just a waste of money.

jvans
12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there is a way to lose less from they way you played it.

Any reason why you made such small bet into the pot on the turn? Were you trying to block it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a small bet for a few reasons. 1. With the three flush out there any good hand would have reraise me (unless they already made a flush). and 2. A feeler bet , Someone with a pair of jacks would probably not want to raise again fearing an overpair. Therefor the only hand that would raise me would have me beat and i could fold, and a flat call would either mean im winning or am drawing to win.

How is this reasoning?

dankus
12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That is a pretty drawy flop, I really like a 3bet to ~$13. As played Iīd check that turn. See what he does. Donīt bet $5, that is just a waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I advocate a flop 3bet too, but I'm going on the way he played it.

[ QUOTE ]
I made a small bet for a few reasons. 1. With the three flush out there any good hand would have reraise me (unless they already made a flush). and 2. A feeler bet , Someone with a pair of jacks would probably not want to raise again fearing an overpair. Therefor the only hand that would raise me would have me beat and i could fold, and a flat call would either mean im winning or am drawing to win.

How is this reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had checked and the opponent had led out for a pot-size bet, would you have felt the need to fold?

A hand that beats you will either bet the turn or the river if you check to them regardless. They won't check it down, so betting out to receive that information on the turn may be fruitless. Eventually, you will find out if you are beat.

The way the hand played out, this doesn't have to be a flush necessarily, depending on the player. If you have stats on the player or any reads at all, they would be useful to determine your opponent's possible holdings, but a flush isn't necessarily their actual holding, just very likely.

Waingro
12-31-2006, 08:01 PM
I think your reasoning is wrong. You are leaking information about your hand with that turn bet. Iīd say that you get the same information cheaper and more accurately by checking. Also your villain could make a mistake by slowplaying his monster if you check, but he will be more inclined to raise your bet with his monsters. I think your turn bet was a combination of two bad outcomes. You put money into the pot but you didnīt get to see the river card. If villain has 2pair or whatnot you have like a gazillion outs.

emon87
12-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Reraise the flop to avoid the problems on the turn

jvans
12-31-2006, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your reasoning is wrong. You are leaking information about your hand with that turn bet. Iīd say that you get the same information cheaper and more accurately by checking. Also your villain could make a mistake by slowplaying his monster if you check, but he will be more inclined to raise your bet with his monsters. I think your turn bet was a combination of two bad outcomes. You put money into the pot but you didnīt get to see the river card. If villain has 2pair or whatnot you have like a gazillion outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

so say i check the turn villain leads out for 3/4 pot, easy fold?
what if i check turn and villain makes weak bet of 1/3 pot? call down and check/fold river?

dankus
12-31-2006, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

what if i check turn and villain makes weak bet of 1/3 pot? call down and check/fold river?

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain feels comfortable leading out, I wouldn't mind laying it down.

If villain makes it 1/3rd pot, I'd call, looking for the 4th diamond. Check-fold if it doesn't come.

Waingro
12-31-2006, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain feels comfortable leading out, I wouldn't mind laying it down.

If villain makes it 1/3rd pot, I'd call, looking for the 4th diamond. Check-fold if it doesn't come.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word.

The only problem is of course that it not only diamonds that is potentially helpfull to our hand. An A could make us a higher set, if the board pairs villain could potentially be counterfeited. But we donīt know which ones, the only thing we know is we have a boatload of equity against his range. But we have to fold because we misplayed the flop.