PDA

View Full Version : JJ reraised preflop -- how to proceed?

rael
12-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Villain is 35/9. What's the best way to play these situations?

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $18.25
UTG+1: $12.65
MP1: $14.75
MP2: $5.25
CO: $7.90
Hero: $43.20
SB: $23.15
BB: $15.15

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.85</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $6.8</font>, 5 folds, Hero...?

firecat
12-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Reraise all-in. It's unlikely that a limper is ahead of you here, and the SB is in the classic semi-bluff against several limpers situation. She or he might have almost anything. Only a big pair is bad news, and if you get all of the chips in pre-flop you won't have tough flop decisions to make if an overcard comes.

rael
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Unless I have seen villian raise light in these situations before, I'm not sure I can give someone credit for a preflop steal at this level.

Yes, I've seen it happen at these tables but I think generally a preflop reraise of this size means AA-TT, AK (and usually the better hands in this range). Maybe I'm giving people too much credit and maybe I'm a little delusional because those hands are more likely to make it to showdown, but that's how I interpret the bet.

So to me, it seems like a decision between
1) folding (I don't think I could bring myself to fold unless I'm against a super-nit, and even then there's set value, but it's a consideration at least)
2) calling and getting my money in on a non-A flop (I don't like calling because of what you said regarding tricky flop decisions)
3) reraising all in and hoping for a coin-flip (or that extremely rare occurance that villian folds QQ or calls with 99 or something)

Please tell me where my thinking is off.