PDA

View Full Version : How valuable is coaching?

gdsdiscgolfer
12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm a winning player, but know that there are major leaks in my game. My journey has been pretty solitary, mainly reading these boards. I think getting a good coach could revolutionize my game.

The folks at 3-bet.net charge 100/hr for coaching from good HSNL players. I'm sure that's lower than their hourly winrate, but it's a large amount of money to me (my BR's only 1700).

Is coaching worth it?

cwar
12-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Find someone who plays seriously at the same limits you do and exchange hand histories with eachother.

4_2_it
12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Find someone who plays seriously at the same limits you do and exchange hand histories with each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or participate in the uNL and SSNL hand history reviews that will most likely start up again after the new year.

If you review and study the concepts discussed in the threads linked in the SSNL stickies that should be enough to get you at least on the cusp NL$200. At that point you can re-evaluate whether or not you need a coach.

Another option is Cardrunners, which has videos of winning players.

HitNRunPoster
12-28-2006, 05:42 PM
when you pay a coach, you reduce his hourly variance on that money to zero.

a poker player's hourly rate is actually greater than their hourly income when you account for their personal cost of variance.

so 100/hr is truly a lot of money. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

deehi
12-28-2006, 05:57 PM
This is a good question. Because right now I am a microlimits player who is grinding it out at the 25nl tables. I've come to realize that $50-75 fees add up for my bankroll at this time.
I have always had need for someone who could look at my play and really give me some good feedback, but, the cost is more than my br and sustain right now. So, as mentioned, i do the best I can with the free info available here at 2p2. But, I really need to develop a friendship with someone who is a solid winning player who I can bounce things off of at times.