PDA

View Full Version : $10NL: Line check on combo draw.

Sean Fraley
12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $5.93
UTG+1: $5.80
CO: $2.96
Button: $8.46
SB: $16.69
Hero: $11.25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif
2 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB calls, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif ($0.2, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.2</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $0.4</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $11.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button calls all-in $8.01</font>

Bowlboy
12-27-2006, 07:20 PM
You have a strong draw, but no fold equity. Me thinks your push is -EV, as it will get called by hands that beat you more than not in a showdown. If your straight draw was open ended that changes things a lot. You also have only one overcard. 3betting to around $1.50 might be the way to go as you can still get away from this if you miss by the river, but are still likely stacking your opponent if you hit.

Abramovic
12-27-2006, 07:47 PM
I think your allin push is perhaps a little too much. Bowlboy says you have no fold equity - why does he not have fold equity with his push? I think it gives him maximum fold equity, but isnt the most +EV line.

I like a 3bet to around 1.5 as bowlboy suggests, as you wont be committed to the pot and you have position on SB so you can check behind on turn.

jk1986
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Your push definately does have fold equity, it is however an over bet.
I think there is a case for just calling his minraise, and trying to hit your outs. When they offer you such great odds for the draw its sometimes worth just taking them. Saying that I dont think a raise to 1.5 is a bad line either. My action would depend on whether I thought the other player would fire the turn again if I just called his min raise.

checkmate36
12-27-2006, 09:02 PM
What if we changed hero's Qh to the 8h?

Would the push on the flop then become +EV?

Thanks for any insights.

dodgybob
12-27-2006, 09:09 PM
The problem with your flop push is that there isn't enough dead money in the pot to make it worthwhile. The reason you want fold equity with a combo draw is so you can have 100% equity of the money already existing in the pot.

Just call his minraise and try and get it all in if you hit any of your outs.

Check_The_Nuts
12-27-2006, 10:23 PM
2 buy ins deep I think the push is too much of an overshove. I also think that semibluffing at 5Nl is probably a little overrated - since the play is so bad there isn't really a lot of need for it, they almost never fold.

bozzer
12-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I've had bad experiences semibluff pushing at low stakes. Deep stacked and OOP, combo draws are not that hot IMO- you have a lot of potential, but playing them correctly when you are drawing and when you hit is not easy.

Advice about pounding the pot with a combo until you are all in is based more on shallower games. DS it's hard to get the FE you need by rereraising till you are able to push into a large pot, or the pot-size to stack ratio you want to make a staight push worthwhile.

I would be grateful he only min-raised and see the turn.

PF, what is the minimum hand range people would raise to steal with here? Because I am quite close to raising this one up.

avfletch
12-28-2006, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've had bad experiences semibluff pushing at low stakes. Deep stacked and OOP, combo draws are not that hot IMO- you have a lot of potential, but playing them correctly when you are drawing and when you hit is not easy.

Advice about pounding the pot with a combo until you are all in is based more on shallower games. DS it's hard to get the FE you need by rereraising till you are able to push into a large pot, or the pot-size to stack ratio you want to make a staight push worthwhile.

I would be grateful he only min-raised and see the turn.

PF, what is the minimum hand range people would raise to steal with here? Because I am quite close to raising this one up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo you will get called too often to make that profitable. You'll just end up playing more drawing hands oop in bloated pots.