PDA

View Full Version : Can you be pot committed in ring game?

LearningCurve
12-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Have been playing for money less than three months, so lots to learn. Would provide pt stats on villain but am not sure what the num/num/num stats represent. If someone could enlighten me on these stats then I'll be able to use the proper format in the future. Had never played against villain before but pt now shows him as a "fish" with VPIP 50%, saw 59.09% of flops, AF 0.63.

Felt good about hand with pre-flop raise and time took villain to call on flop bet. However, raise on turn (even though turn card looked to be a blank) made me very uneasy. Thought I was pot committed in this hand to call with tptk (although generally I'd need more to want to tangle), but was this correct? Does pot commitment really even apply to ring games or is it more of a tournament issue? Thanks for the feedback!

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, 4 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($2.5, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.25</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($6.25, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $7.15</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: T/images/graemlins/club.gif ($27.7, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $27.7)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: $27.7
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed 6h 5h</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero showed Qh Ac</font>
<font color="#ffffff">CO showed 2d Td</font>

Not sure why it's not showing results as I asked for it to, but fyi:

Villain was playing 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, which resulted in full house. Lesser villain had 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Neither of these hands was I have called 3X bb pre-flop raise with, but that's part of what makes poker so very interesting!

Pocket Trips
12-27-2006, 09:43 AM
IMO people who call hands down saying "I was pot-committed" are just looking for excuses to make weak calls. In this case villian bet $7.15 into an $8.50 pot and you had him covered. You had $2 invested into a $8 pot. This does not even come close to being "pot-committed." Next time this situation comes up with TPTK just fold and wait for a better opprotunity. Even tho the stats of villian show he is seeing half his flops he is only betting out when he has something.

LearningCurve
12-27-2006, 10:08 AM
You're right re:pot commitment. Don't think that's the concept I was looking for. Better question would maybe have been, I had $4.50 (rather than $2.00) in what was over a $22 pot when I had to call/fold. Did it make sense to then call the $4.65 to win a $27.70 pot with tptk, having no stats on the player (and only in 14th hand at table) at the time? If the turn had been something other than a 2 I would have perhaps been concerned enough to fold regardless, but I didn't see how card could possibly have helped villain's hand noting pre-flop raise and slow call on flop.

Anyhow, thanks for your answer. I've generally found it's better to never get wrapped up in a hand when you only have top pair (unless it's in the hole -- and even then I won't slow play it). This hand just goes to show why!

Sirasoni
12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I tend to raise it to a dollar preflop, and bet more on the flop and turn. You have TPTK against what it seems to be a field of donkeys, you want to extract good value here. The flop is pretty benign too, but with KJo and J9o being problems you should also be looking to protect well here.

You aren't pot committed here as PT said above, but I feel that CO being all in gives you a good opportunity to call - you will most likely not be seeing a huge bet on the river resulting in another hard decision. I might be wrong on this though, especially since SB's cold call screams huge draw or slowplay (or calling station donkey who enjoys donating).

The #s in xx/yy/z refers to VPIP%/PFR%/AF.

CaptVimes
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
This is not matter of being pot committed its more a matter of pot odds and can you make this call knowing you probably will have to improve. I think your top pair is beat here more times than not. Villain knows you have at least pair, because of your betting, and pushes anyway. The problem with this is that you are getting almost 5to1 on the call. $4.65 into a $23.05 pot. When the SB cold calls you have to tighten up your calling standards even more though and you don't have a lot of clean outs to improve. I probably fold this and wait for a better spot as mentioned earlier. Make a note to value bet the SB.

Sweir
12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Seems that both villians are pretty poor players. As poket trips says you are in no way "pot-committed". An example would be if you had 3/4 of your stack in the pot PF with poket Aces, then you would be "pot-committed" and couldn't really fold any flop.

PF I would raise more than 3xbb, firstly you are UTG and will have bad position in all subsquent streets, secondly at uNL people are generally very loose pf so you need to bet a bit more to stop lots of people from calling, and thirdly you would be very happy to take it down now. Something like 4xbb+1 per limper is a good amount.

As for the flop your cbet is a bit small. It encourages hands like 56s and 102s to call, letting them have cheap cards. You want to make people pay a lot to out draw you. Also it is multiway so you need to bet even bigger, after CO calls SB had to call only $1.25 with a pot of $5 meaning that hands like J9 have the correct odds to out draw you. Betting something like 3/4 - PSB is much better.

On the turn you have the same problem as the flop, you are betting $2.5 into a $6.25 pot. Considering another heart has fallen and your opponents look like they may be drawing to something you need to bet big to stop them from getting the correct odds to call. Again something like 3/4 - PSB seems good. After CO raises AI you have to fold, TPTK isnt good enough.