PDA

View Full Version : Maybe interesting KJs

deception5
01-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Full table of tags playing for fun. UTG limps, MP limps K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO raises, Button cold calls, blinds fold, rest call. 9.5 SB in the pot.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Checked to CO who bets, folded to MP. Worth continuing?

MP peeled figuring:

Nearly Dead:
AA(3), KK(1), AK(6), KQs(2)

5 outs or more:
AQ(12),AJs(3)

Ahead:
QQ(6),JJ(3),TT(6),99(6)

Plan was to check/fold the turn unimproved (due to insufficient odds to continue and the low likelyhood of QQ-99 firing again). Turn was 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Anyone check/raise here? Or is this almost always a check/call?

W. Deranged
01-03-2006, 02:50 AM
I raise this pre-flop.

Post-flop, I probably call the flop and check-fold the turn unimproved. The pot is big enough that calling with close to any piece is going to be + EV.

Ron Burgundy
01-03-2006, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise this pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

naMruM
01-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Raise preflop. The way it played out, I think I like WA/WB here unless you hit your flush on the river, in which case you're going to town unless it's the 8h..

Elevens
01-03-2006, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise this pre-flop.

Post-flop, I probably call the flop and check-fold the turn unimproved. The pot is big enough that calling with close to any piece is going to be + EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abbaddabba
01-03-2006, 11:41 AM
It's not WA/WB. Damn, that term is overused. A raise from the CO doesnt mean 9's up, or AJ up. If you raised preflop, you wouldnt be in this difficult situation.

I think an argument could be made for a lot of lines on the flop depending on the player. TAG is too vague a read. What're his stats? Will he ever raise a turn with less than top pair? Will he be nice enough to 3bet with TPGK to a checkraise, or will he make things difficult and stop 'n go?

There're a lot of weird ass lines that could work against particular individuals. Check/raise/call and fold the turn UI if 3bet. Call flop, gaybet/fold turn. Check/call, check/call, bet/fold... Or the one you took, check/call and check/fold the turn UI.

Yours is the safest route without any particular information about the villain. I think I'd lean towards check/raise (assuming no callers and you're closing action) and call a 3bet, fold the turn UI. Lead the turn if he calls, and fold to a raise UI. River is another story.

deception5
01-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Good points all. I'm surprised so many want to raise this preflop. Our hand isn't usually a big favorite against the range of a tight UTG limper (and occasionally a big dog) and there are still a decent number of players left to act behind. It's also a decent multi-way hand being suited and connected. Would you usually raise here regardless of whether you are MP1 or MP3?

I do see the merits of improving your pair outs as a hand like AJ may fold.

icepick
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Check call the turn. I'm about 50/50 about betting out/check-rasing the river if I improve. If I don't, I'd probably check-fold.

FWIW, I'd raise PF too.

Abbaddabba
01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good points all. I'm surprised so many want to raise this preflop. Our hand isn't usually a big favorite against the range of a tight UTG limper (and occasionally a big dog) and there are still a decent number of players left to act behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err... are you scared that he's limping with Jacks up or AK? Im only mildly concerned about AJ or KQ. More often than not, you aren't dominated. But even if you are, it's not a huge deal. You're in position, you're in control of the hand, you still have suited and connected value to fall back on, and you'll get folds when you both miss.