PDA

View Full Version : learning GR question.

arahant
12-19-2006, 03:20 AM
I think there are a few people here who can answer this in particular, and perhaps the idea in general.

I've been considering learning GR well. I have extensive physics and math background, but it's been awhile. I figure it would take me a good 6 months to a year to really nail down all the math.

Is it worth it? I already have a strong conceptual understanding. Given that I would need to brush up on some math, will I gain a deeper understanding of the structure of the universe by digesting all the diff. eq's and such?

If so...i've noticed that the number of textbooks on this have expanded dramatically since I was in college (pretty sure it was just the one classic then). Anyone have reccomendations?

thylacine
12-19-2006, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there are a few people here who can answer this in particular, and perhaps the idea in general.

I've been considering learning GR well. I have extensive physics and math background, but it's been awhile. I figure it would take me a good 6 months to a year to really nail down all the math.

Is it worth it? I already have a strong conceptual understanding. Given that I would need to brush up on some math, will I gain a deeper understanding of the structure of the universe by digesting all the diff. eq's and such?

If so...i've noticed that the number of textbooks on this have expanded dramatically since I was in college (pretty sure it was just the one classic then). Anyone have reccomendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Introduction to General Relativity: Spacetime and Geometry"
by Sean M. Carroll.
ISBN 0-8053-8732-3

I found it to be really good.

The first few chapters build up to the theory of differentiable manifolds, which is the main mathematics you need.