PDA

View Full Version : 99 against aggressive player in BB

Sandberg
02-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Wondering if I made the right move.

Hollywood Poker $2-$4 full ring.

Villain is Semi Loose Aggressive but Poker tracker says he’s passive post flop:

23.91/15.22/1.93

Hero is Big Blind with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

Five folds, MP2 raises, three folds, SB calls, Hero calls

Flop: (6 sb) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, SB calls, Hero raises, MP2 calls, SB folds.

Turn:(5 bb) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, MP2 raises, Hero?

bobhalford
02-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Hero folds. Looks like villain has AQ/88 or a PP higher than yours. You see that he just calls your raise on the flop because he doesn't want to dissuade the SB from calling. He wants you to bet the turn so he can raise. This is how someone plays a very strong hand, a hand better than yours. He's got TT-AA or 88. There is a small chance that he has Axd, but I don't think a passive player would be making this play with Ax of diamonds unless it's AQd. Since he is a loose raiser, pp's lower than yours are also possible, but does he play those this way? I doubt it. Only really aggressive players make these kinds of plays with 77, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Mattymar
02-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree, hero folds. Yet another 99 hand. Seems like there have been a lot of them lately. I think 99 is the toughest PP to play because you're faced with tough decisions pre-flop and then it usually doesn't get much easier on the flop, turn, or river if you make it that far. It's tough, but in this case I think we have a clear fold.

Abbaddabba
02-04-2006, 07:53 PM
This is the kind of situation where the default move is to fold. Typical players never raise this turn with something that doesnt have you drawing slim. It's often going to be a Q, and a lot of the time it's going to be a 4 who was waiting to bump it. Since he raised preflop, we can probably eliminate 4's from his range for the most part.

If he was playing aggressively with a flush draw, he's more often than not going to be 3betting the flop. That is the typical move for aggressive players. The stop and go suggests that it will not often be a semi bluff.

It could be AK setting up a free showdown, and taking a stab at a scare card. But it's unlikely. His stats suggest that it's highly improbable.

If your hand was slightly stronger (mid strength Q), i think you'd have to show it down against someone with fairly neutral stats and no specific reads.