PDA

View Full Version : HOH best selling poker book?

SNOWBALL
02-04-2006, 04:19 PM
http://twodimes.net/poker_books/

It says HOH vol 1. is the best selling poker book, but I couldn't find volume two on the list. Strange.

Congratulations to King Yao and Mark Blade for the success of your books, at #11 and #15 respectively. They sold well solely due to "word-of-mouth" marketting, which reflects well on their quality.

Ed Miller
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It says HOH vol 1. is the best selling poker book, but I couldn't find volume two on the list. Strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's because Amazon is confused about HOH 1&2 and has, for instance, the same reviews for both books. The sales of both HOH books are through the roof.

PocketAces
02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
As well they should be. They are outstanding. I've pretty much read them all, and I can't think of any that were better as far as imparting detailed, practical knowledge on such a grand scale.

ECDub
02-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Is Harrington basically financially set for life off these books or do authors not really make a killing off their book sales?

I see Negreanu's book is already 20th and it's not even out yet. That book is going to make crazy money. Every fish with 25 bucks will have a copy.

cwsiggy
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Harrington basically financially set for life off these books or do authors not really make a killing off their book sales?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is financially set from his business (Anchor Loans) and of course poker! The book sales are just icing on the cake - though authors only get what? $.80-$1.00 per book, if even??

Ed Miller
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The book sales are just icing on the cake - though authors only get what? $.80-$1.00 per book, if even??

[/ QUOTE ]

While your numbers are somewhat typical of the publishing industry, Mason pays a lot more than that.

benfranklin
02-05-2006, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think it's because Amazon is confused about HOH 1&2 and has, for instance, the same reviews for both books. The sales of both HOH books are through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

As of Sunday afternoon, Amazon showed HOH1 as being number 82 overall on their best seller list, and HOH2 as being number 106. Phil Gordon's book is number 307. That list is on twodimes, not on Amazon. So whoever put that list together on twodimes left off HOH2 for some reason.

Ed Miller
02-05-2006, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As of Sunday afternoon, Amazon showed HOH1 as being number 82 overall on their best seller list, and HOH2 as being number 106. Phil Gordon's book is number 307. That list is on twodimes, not on Amazon. So whoever put that list together on twodimes left off HOH2 for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

The list on twodimes is probably compiled automatically by Amazon. I think they have an interface where you can ask something like, "What are the top Entertainment->Gambling books?" (or any other category and sub-categories) and they spit out a list including sales ranks. As I said, Amazon is somewhat confused about the HOH books, and in some circumstances (the book reviews being one) it considers them the same book. Perhaps it also has only one listing for both books in the Entertainment->Gambling category, or whatever their category name is.

chessforlife
02-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I wonder how much money these authors have made on their books because of the poker boom. Millions?

I find it amusing that a book on tells is #4.

Mason Malmuth
02-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Hi cwsiggy:

We only do top notch books which we know going in will sell very well so we reward our authors by paying much higher royalties than industry standard. But you are right in the sense that some poker authors are only making $0.80 to $1.00 per book (which is an amount that we view as insulting).

On a related note, knowing what I know, I strongly feel that any poker author who doesn't try to sell his book to us is either foolish or just ignorant of the way the poker book business is. That's because in almost all cases if we do their book they will probably make at least four times as much as they would from a big name publisher (and many not so big name publishers), plus their book will be much better done. On the other side of this, it's tough to get us to accept a book because we do have very high standards and we have turned many a book down.

Best wishes,
Mason

starvin-garvin
02-06-2006, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other side of this, it's tough to get us to accept a book because we do have very high standards and we have turned many a book down.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]
That's good to hear. How many publishers would turn down something that would easily make a profit based name recognition alone?

ie: something like hellmuth's products...any publisher willing to release that garbage obviously doesn't have our (the consumers) poker game in their best interest.

Any big names shot down that you want to mention ? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mason Malmuth
02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi starvin:

You have this wrong. Most books that major publishers do lose money and I believe this will be the case with many poker books. What happens is that a big publisher puts out a lot of books hoping that a few of them are successful and thus pay for all the unprofitable ones. That's part of the reason typical author royalties are so low.

I also don't think it's appropriate for me to list authors of books we have rejected.

Best wishes,
Mason

cwsiggy
02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Nice to hear you guys pay top royalties. I vaguely remember reading a thread where you mentioned that.