PDA

View Full Version : Railbird Psychology in Regards to the Beal/"Corporation" game

Roy Munson
02-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Due to the stakes involved this game is compelling, especially to us poker geeks.

While reading the ongoing forum discussions for this game something else is emerging as interesting. There are people who have strong rooting interests for either side.

I can understand that if you are friends with any of the participants or if you have a stake in the outcome of the game that you would develop an allegiance. What would motivate the otherwise unattached observer to do the same?

In reading the recaps, quite a few posters seem passionate in who they want to win and some, even more so, in who they want to lose.

captZEEbo
02-04-2006, 03:33 PM
why do people root for pro sports teams if they don't have $ on it?

Roy Munson
02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
In most instances they root for sports teams because the jersey that is worn by the team they are rooting for is emblazoned with their city of residence's name. This lends itself to sharing a rooting experience with like minded people in your community and if you are lucky you get to hook up with a hot drunk fan who is caught up in post game euphoria.

I don't see that happening over a poker game except for the winning player himself.

LeadingMan
02-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Its more than that though. People don't just have rooting interests in their home team. We watch athlets on TV and either identify with athlets and root for them, or see them as villians and root against them. At this point, most poker players have watched a good deal of coverage on TV. We've seen all the pro's and know a little about each's personality and that spurs our rooting tendancies.

There are the same reasons to pick a side here. The underdog. Players we like. Players we don't, etc.

idrinkcoors
02-05-2006, 02:09 AM
I've wondered the same thing when I see guys going crazy during the WPT. Like at the Commerce when The Grinder's fans were going crazy...it's not like they were going to cash in. Maybe they were his buddies or knew he was going to buy the drinks afterward.

Sciolist
02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I think people are rooting for the Corporation because they want to be able to say "yes, these guys really are a breed apart - skill is such a large part of the game, I can aspire to that".

The people rooting for Andy Beal are probably people who don't like the Corporation players for whatever reason. Alternatively, they might be losing/breakeven players who want to say that the game is just luck, that's why they don't win.

Rooting for a billionaire makes me feel ill.

Bigblindal
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
People Love to Love and Love to Hate.
We pick sides for many reasons.
People love to hate my Raiders! Why I don't know?

RydenStoompala
02-07-2006, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
quite a few posters seem passionate in who they want to win

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it's Jennifer Harman, I'm happy. She'll need the money for when she dumps her husband and runs off with me. I wish the security guys would quit ushering me out the back door...it's really getting irritating.

popniklas
02-07-2006, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think people are rooting for the Corporation because they want to be able to say "yes, these guys really are a breed apart - skill is such a large part of the game, I can aspire to that".

The people rooting for Andy Beal are probably people who don't like the Corporation players for whatever reason. Alternatively, they might be losing/breakeven players who want to say that the game is just luck, that's why they don't win.

Rooting for a billionaire makes me feel ill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think Andy Beal seems like an impressive and interesting guy and I don't think him winning would necessary be due to luck.

I like the corporation players, I know that poker is primarily a game of skill and I am a winning poker player. But I am rooting for Andy, because I like him as well and think it would be.. well.. unexpected in a funny, exciting way if he wins.

LoosenUp
02-07-2006, 09:33 PM
is there an ongoing thead detailing the current match, if so can someone link me to it.
Thanks

Nomad84
02-07-2006, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there an ongoing thead detailing the current match, if so can someone link me to it.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Check NVG. I think there's more than one thread.