PDA

View Full Version : Infinite- some thoughts and questions.

CaseS87
12-16-2006, 08:41 PM
let me preface this by saying that i am not highly educated in mathematics or physics, so this is baseless speculation and could be completely wrong for a simple reason. i am not presenting this as a hypothesis, because im sure somebody has thought about this before, i am asking why it is wrong.

as i understand it, one of the biggest problems with both black hole theory, and the big bang theory is the issue of the singularity. when an equation like this ends with an infinite answer, it is assumed to have a flaw. there apparently cannot be an object in our universe that is infinite small and infinitely dense. my question is, why not? why is it that we make this assumption even though we do not have a complete (not even close) understanding of the very small. why is it that is a fairly accepted idea that whatever is outside of our universe could extend into infinite, but when we reverse it, it is impossible that you cannot, for example, divide something in half forever?

i hope that made sense.

MusashiStyle
12-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Let's see if I can answer this.

The current theoretical model of the Big Bang does consider the starting point to be a singularity.
Also the current black hole model does include certain "unallowable" mathematical expressions.

I think the major thing that you are missing is this:

When physicists make models of these objects like Black holes and singularities certainly divisions by zero may occur and that may cause most people to go "hey u can't have division by zero in an equation!"

However, a good physicist will have a very detailed model of a black hole with numerous equations that contain lots of INFORMATION (physics is all about extrapolation as much information as possible from assumptions).

With this complex set of equations there may be a "singularity" however already there are many equations where the "singularity" exists but that still doesn't make the model incorrect. It just has a physical explanation; such as the mass inside a black hole has approached infinite density at this particular point in spacetime.

So I would say that there certainly are still mysteries pertaining to singularities, but that they aren't such a big hurdle that we have to throw away our models, and often times they have real physical causes.

arahant
12-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Singularities are more or less accepted by most physicists, i would say.