PDA

View Full Version : is this move okay to do..?

lukelabet
01-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Just re-reading SS 1 on page 466, an example is given on AA versus a set on the board. DB says if opponent moved all-in, he would turn over the AA BEFORE calling/folding to see reaction. Is this okay to do, I've limited live experience just trying to work ut what's acceptable...

Photoc
01-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Try the NL holdem section of this forum for strategy discussion. This really has no place in the B&M forum.

murellus
01-03-2006, 01:34 AM
depends on where you go, some places will say ok, some will call your hand dead

henrikrh
01-03-2006, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try the NL holdem section of this forum for strategy discussion. This really has no place in the B&M forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? This is a question of B&M etiquette. I would say that this is mostly ok, but never when there are other people who still have live hands. Might want to ask the dealer if this will result in your hand being dead before you make the move. I do this alot in my home game, can be pretty effective.

Photoc
01-03-2006, 04:27 AM
I mistook his post for asking if it's ok to do strategy-wise in a game. IE: if it works.

My appologies to the OP.

Rick Nebiolo
01-03-2006, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just re-reading SS 1 on page 466, an example is given on AA versus a set on the board. DB says if opponent moved all-in, he would turn over the AA BEFORE calling/folding to see reaction. Is this okay to do, I've limited live experience just trying to work ut what's acceptable...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's *usually* OK but some cardrooms in LA are moving in a direction against allowing this in the small buy-in games. You might want to ask the floor (and don't expect consistent answers).

As an aside, when I push all-in (whether with a hand or as a bluff) I stare straight down and sort of cover my face with my hands (Mike Caro style) so you would be hard pressed to get a reaction.

~ Rick

Percula
01-03-2006, 10:06 AM
When you are HU (heads up) in a cash game (not a tournament) most all rooms allow this. However if you are not a good reader, you are likely to not get a reation that you can use to make a solid choice. Also be aware many dealers will try to muck your hand. You might want to do some research on micro expressions before trying this...

SheridanCat
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you say you have limited experience, you probably shouldn't even bother with this move. You'll get no useful information out of it. I think it showing aces before folding would give more information that in it would gain you.

Regards,

T

mosdef
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Whether or not it's allowed, this is bush-league kids stuff and you will benefit a whole lot more from studying other more important aspects of the game. The most likely reaction you will induce is an eye-roll from every person at the table.

Dominic
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
i'm sorry, but does this situation come up more than oce a millenium??

Mr. Curious
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Card room dependent.

Ask the dealer when you first sit down and again before you do it.

Al_Capone_Junior
01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Basically you're playing with fire if you use this move in today's poker rooms.

The VASTLY inexperienced state of today's players, dealers and floorpeople make this move very dangerous. You're quite likely to hear "His hand is dead! His hand is dead!"

Many players, many dealers, and the less experienced (or less educated) floorpeople all think that exposing your hand intentionally before the river makes your hand automatically and irrevocably DEAD FOREVER NO MATTER WHAT.

There might even be a cardroom or two that have rules that back this up.

Of course it's total BULLPUCKY, your hand is not dead at all. Tournament Director's Association rule #7 and #35...

7. A penalty MAY be invoked if a player exposes any card with action pending, if a card(s) goes off the table, if soft-play occurs, or similar incidents take place. Penalties WILL be invoked in cases of abuse, disruptive behavior, or similar incidents.

35. A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed.

So in a tournament, it's going to be against the rules if they're using TDA rules.

In a live game, there should be no problem with it, so long as it's heads up. Hey, if you want to expose your hand before the river, it's your money. But if you do this in a multiway pot, you're probably giving one player a BIG advantage over the other(s), so this would be unsportsman like conduct (to say the least). Your hand is NOT ruled dead, whether it's a tournament or a ring game, but you MAY be assessed a penalty (time away from the table).

But like I said, in today's atmosphere of primarily inexperienced and ignorant players, dealers, and floors, you're treading on thin ice if you try to "pull a Doyle."

The move ain't that great anyway, just protect yourself already and don't get fancy.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
01-04-2006, 04:48 PM
I thought it was a legitimate question that applied to live cardroom rules, thus my answer.

al

lukelabet
02-05-2006, 12:00 AM
thanks for your answers, it really helped to understand the book more with these outside references.