PDA

View Full Version : Alternative theory of gravity without dark matter

Skidoo
12-15-2006, 11:28 PM
In the standard theory of gravity—general relativity—dark matter plays a vital role, explaining many observations that the standard theory cannot explain by itself. But for 70 years, cosmologists have never observed dark matter, and the lack of direct observation has created skepticism about what is really out there.

Lately, some scientists have turned the question around, from "is dark matter correct?" to "is our standard theory of gravity correct?" Most recently, Fermilab scientists Scott Dodelson and former Brinson Fellow Michele Liguori demonstrated one of the first pieces of theoretical evidence that an alternative theory of gravity can explain the large scale structure of the universe.

http://www.physorg.com/news85310822.html

thylacine
12-15-2006, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the standard theory of gravity—general relativity—dark matter plays a vital role, explaining many observations that the standard theory cannot explain by itself. But for 70 years, cosmologists have never observed dark matter, and the lack of direct observation has created skepticism about what is really out there.

Lately, some scientists have turned the question around, from "is dark matter correct?" to "is our standard theory of gravity correct?" Most recently, Fermilab scientists Scott Dodelson and former Brinson Fellow Michele Liguori demonstrated one of the first pieces of theoretical evidence that an alternative theory of gravity can explain the large scale structure of the universe.

http://www.physorg.com/news85310822.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any quotes of Einstein saying what he thought about Dark Matter?

Skidoo
12-15-2006, 11:50 PM
No. It surprised me to find out the dark matter hypothesis was around in his lifetime.

arahant
12-15-2006, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. It surprised me to find out the dark matter hypothesis was around in his lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. My sides hurt...

Skidoo
12-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Was dark matter in the standard textbooks before 1970?