PDA

View Full Version : Attacking one's intellect -

Praxis101
12-13-2006, 11:13 PM
I have observed people use this technique in an attempt to teach, or reveal, perhaps, a particular subject for consideration.

I think I've seen this subject mentioned in threads on occasion - I thought it was interesting... Is this method used often? How's this work in your experience?

arahant
12-13-2006, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have observed people use this technique in an attempt to teach, or reveal, perhaps, a particular subject for consideration.

I think I've seen this subject mentioned in threads on occasion - I thought it was interesting... Is this method used often? How's this work in your experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Like if I call you stupid?

Praxis101
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Like if I call you stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I suppose.

How about something along the lines of: "Hah. How could you not check-raise him there? Pretty obvious."

Sometimes this is a jab at someone, half-jokingly - but I think a lot of the time it is an honest effort to "enlighten" someone, so to speak.

Speedlimits
12-14-2006, 12:37 AM
ad hominem attacks are not valid in logical debates. But it can be funny.

Praxis101
12-14-2006, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could logically conceive that appealing to emotions is one of the more effiecient means of exressing an idea, though, no?

We'll save logical debates for other threads /images/graemlins/cool.gif

vhawk01
12-14-2006, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could logically conceive that appealing to emotions is one of the more effiecient means of exressing an idea, though, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Appealing to emotions is probably a good rhetorical tool, but I don't think this is a very good example of it. Its FAR more likely to make people defensive, which is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do. For some rare people, shaming them into introspection might be possible, but I think you are hurting your cause for the most part.

JayTee
12-14-2006, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Appealing to emotions is probably a good rhetorical tool, but I don't think this is a very good example of it. Its FAR more likely to make people defensive, which is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do. For some rare people, shaming them into introspection might be possible, but I think you are hurting your cause for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL this is obvious to anyone with a brain

MaxWeiss
12-14-2006, 06:02 AM
I use it often, especially if I'm in a foul mood. It has yet to work for me; therefore it is in fact stupid of me to do it. It's a tilt play, and I'll continue to make it!!!!!!!! So many stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I calm down though, I try to find out exactly what the other person thinks and what their frame of reference is. Then I go from there, usually on a point by point basis. That in fact works very well and allows me to discover exactly what and more importantly WHY they (and I) think what they/I do.

vhawk01
12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use it often, especially if I'm in a foul mood. It has yet to work for me; therefore it is in fact stupid of me to do it. It's a tilt play, and I'll continue to make it!!!!!!!! So many stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I calm down though, I try to find out exactly what the other person thinks and what their frame of reference is. Then I go from there, usually on a point by point basis. That in fact works very well and allows me to discover exactly what and more importantly WHY they (and I) think what they/I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually try to make snide, sarcastic remarks to show my intellectual superiority. Its effects are sort of parabolic, in that people at one end think its clever and effective, the majority of the people in the middle think I am a stupid jerk, and the people at the other end can't tell I'm being sarcastic, and so its again effective.

Smasharoo
12-14-2006, 02:09 PM

What a stupid question. Where you dropped on your head a lot as a child or something?

Praxis101
12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
How about someone employing this method subconsciously?

Ever get the feeling that people can wrap messages in this method - without that even being their conscious intention?