PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sexy-like

Perseus
02-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Villian unknown.

I never do this but some other forced whispered "Feel sexy. Now is the time." This may not even be sexy, it may be standard, but I'm usually more straightforward at low limits against unknowns.

I am check-calling an unimproved river and check-folding the river if he three bets the turn.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Bubbles
02-04-2006, 03:17 AM
I'd like it even more if you bet out, got raised, called, and then went for a turn sexy.

gilbert
02-04-2006, 03:35 AM
if i play the flop like you did, which i would probably normally do, i am going for the turn checkraise.

and if you don't get to cr, you can bet the river and usually get paid off if you just have the pair.

NateDog
02-04-2006, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like it even more if you bet out, got raised, called, and then went for a turn sexy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, this is a 'sexy', not what the OP did.

Kwaz
02-04-2006, 09:08 AM
This is a semi bluff, plain and simple. Though I think you're lacking the fold equity on this board.
I also feel that leading the flop is much better.

As far as I'm aware&gt;

Screwplay: Where Hero is the aggressor on the flop, gets called and then checkraises the turn.

Sexy: Where Hero is the aggressor on the turn, gets called and then checkraises the river.

b/c, c/r = just a c/r
c/c, c/r = just a c/r

Perseus
02-04-2006, 10:22 AM
See, I wasn't sure which is why I wrote "sexy-like" and not a true sexy.

The sexy part is checkraising a hand that will most likely have to improve to win, though not always.

Anyway I look at it I should have bet the flop

bobhalford
02-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I think a semibluff is good only when you have a chance to get your opponent to fold. The way you played it, MP1 is not folding. He most likely has an Ace and will show down his hand one way or another.

Perseus
02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
You're saying that even though he limped preflop he never played middle pair or a wierd draw exactly the same way?

bobhalford
02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
If MP1 is loose, he may have a 5 or 7 without an Ace in his hand. He also could have a PP like 44/66/88/99, a flush draw or 86. Yeah, I can see it a bit better now. You also get paid off when the flush hits because it's disguised. You may have the best hand on the turn, but when he calls the raise it makes for an awkward river unimproved, so I like your plan to check/call the river UI.

slamhound
02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't like doing this in small pots, particularly when there's very little chance you fold out a better hand, you have many outs to improve, and the villain is making a pretty big mistake betting a worse hand that's drawing real slim against your pair + FD.

Added to the possibility you get three-bet/villain folds, I'd much rather check-call and re-evaluate on the river.

Against a known donkey LAG, I like the line a lot better.

I also don't understand why you'd lead the flop here, three to act with a weak draw into an A-high board, so I think the flop play is fine.

mowz
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
So I can think of three reasons to make this turn C/R:

1. You have the best hand and want to make more money.
2. You think you can cause a better hand to fold.
3. You will have the best hand on the river and possibly gain more action from the confusion caused by your turn C/R.

Let's see if this C/R fits any of the criteria.

1. You have the best hand and you want to make more money.

Here you are making the assumption that your opponent being second to last to act in a field of four players decided to bet with less than an ace. Without a read I am going to say this happens probably 1/10 times, and that's being generous.

2. You think you can cause a better hand to fold.

Assuming that the opponent has made the above 1/10 bet, what hands could he possibly have? A pair of fives, a pair of sevens, some sort of straight draw or flush draw, or a lower pocket pair. None of these hands are better than your 10s, so that is a no go.

3. You will have the best hand on the river and possibly gain more action from the confusion caused by your turn C/R.

There are 4 big bets in the pot when our Hero is getting ready make a checkraise, so he's getting 1:2 on this move. He has nine spade outs, three twos, and two tens, for a total of 14 outs. That is about 1:3.

To make it 1:3 you're going to have to pull an extra two bets out of fold equity and him calling down with a worse hand. You are only going to get one more bet out of him at the river when you improve, so I don't think you're going to be able to make this +EV.