PDA

View Full Version : I want to be famous.

LifetimeLoser77
12-10-2006, 08:13 PM
I want to be famous via physics (at least among physicist crowd).

That is I want to come out with some published theory that is famous and respectable.

I don't have a Phd, but I have a BS in honors in pure physics. I'm planning on working independantly on high level theory relating to quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, gravity, dark energy/matter etc.

what sort of odds do u think I have?
how about if I add the Phd, how does that change the odds?

vhawk01
12-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Not good. And thats just from reading your poker posts.

arahant
12-10-2006, 09:01 PM
How famous do you want to be?
For top 10 physicists of your generation, I'll give you:
36,000:1 working independently
950:1 with PhD

Speedlimits
12-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Physics is probably one of the most competitive fields. You'd need to have an insanely high IQ and a lot of similarly skilled scientists working with you. You have a very low probability of being famous but it is by no means impossible (unless biologically you are not "smart enough.").

Let me know how it goes.

thylacine
12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting numbers. I'm curious how you came up with them.

thylacine
12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to be famous via physics (at least among physicist crowd).

That is I want to come out with some published theory that is famous and respectable.

I don't have a Phd, but I have a BS in honors in pure physics. I'm planning on working independantly on high level theory relating to quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, gravity, dark energy/matter etc.

what sort of odds do u think I have?
how about if I add the Phd, how does that change the odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you asked your professors? What do they think?

Any reason to skip a PhD?

How would you support yourself?

Will you publish your results as a 2+2 book?

madnak
12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I would say very, very low. Probably less than 5000:1 even if you have a PhD and are extremely smart (too smart to measure). If you don't get a PhD, well, you probably aren't that smart.

If you really are good enough to become famous, you should have no trouble covering the costs through grants and scholarships. And the amount of work it will take to get a PhD will be a walk in the park (if you have the necessary work ethic to be a top physicist, that is). So it would be hard for it not to be worthwhile to get a PhD, I'm really not seeing this. I guess if you have some major opposition to University, etc, but you'll still virtually kill your chances (unless you're independently wealthy - and no, you won't have time to "become independently wealthy through poker" and simultaneously become a top physicist).

If you put in the necessary blood, sweat, and tears - and if you do end up being smart enough and having enough of a facility with physics to destroy virtually everyone else you come across - then there's a chance. Some of it will come down to luck - some will come down to motivation - some will come down to imagination. (And you seem a little weak on the latter two).

How about this - why in the [censored] do you want to be famous via physics? Frankly, there are easier ways to become more famous. How about, if you have a passion for physics dive into it and study what sparks your mind? Forget about the fame? This is practical advice, not normative advice. But you can tell by my annoyance that I'm a purist and will look down on any scientist who's motivated by money and fame, regardless of brilliance. So why am I bothering?

vhawk01
12-10-2006, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say very, very low. Probably less than 5000:1 even if you have a PhD and are extremely smart (too smart to measure). If you don't get a PhD, well, you probably aren't that smart.

If you really are good enough to become famous, you should have no trouble covering the costs through grants and scholarships. And the amount of work it will take to get a PhD will be a walk in the park (if you have the necessary work ethic to be a top physicist, that is). So it would be hard for it not to be worthwhile to get a PhD, I'm really not seeing this. I guess if you have some major opposition to University, etc, but you'll still virtually kill your chances (unless you're independently wealthy - and no, you won't have time to "become independently wealthy through poker" and simultaneously become a top physicist).

If you put in the necessary blood, sweat, and tears - and if you do end up being smart enough and having enough of a facility with physics to destroy virtually everyone else you come across - then there's a chance. Some of it will come down to luck - some will come down to motivation - some will come down to imagination. (And you seem a little weak on the latter two).

How about this - why in the [censored] do you want to be famous via physics? Frankly, there are easier ways to become more famous. How about, if you have a passion for physics dive into it and study what sparks your mind? Forget about the fame? This is practical advice, not normative advice. But you can tell by my annoyance that I'm a purist and will look down on any scientist who's motivated by money and fame, regardless of brilliance. So why am I bothering?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ego, obv. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

arahant
12-11-2006, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting numbers. I'm curious how you came up with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much pulled them out of my ass? (I'm an actuary...I'm good at that /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Well, for WITH a PhD...There are about 1,000 new PhD's a year in the US, so his generation might have like 30-50k ? I'm guessing there are actually fewer than 5,000 who will end up going into pure research, and I gave him about a 50% demerit for asking the question.

As for w/o a PhD, i think it's obvious that his chances are roughly 1/38th of this...

Metric
12-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Doing physics so that you can become famous is about like becoming a Catholic priest so you can meet a lot of girls.

vhawk01
12-11-2006, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Doing physics so that you can become famous is about like becoming a Catholic priest so you can meet a lot of girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or like becoming a physicist so you can meet a lot of girls... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thylacine
12-14-2006, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have altar girls now?