PDA

View Full Version : Contrasting Divine and Human-made Laws

alphatmw
12-10-2006, 03:32 AM
christians, how do you feel about:

illegal actions which are not sins (insider trading, ownership of drug paraphernalia)
and
sinful actions which are legal (adultery, gluttony)?

now i realize my "illegal non-sins" may be considered sins in some sense (insider trading is stealing, etc). if you think so, then think of some examples which would fit the "illegal non-sins" category because i can't think of any better examples at the moment.

should illegal non-sins be legal? should legal sins be made illegal?

PLOlover
12-10-2006, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
illegal actions which are not sins (insider trading, ownership of drug paraphernalia)

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite biblical drug thing is a guy talking about marijuana and how it is a green herb and that god gave mankind all green plants or whatever and therefore it shouldn't be illegal. Then he adds the part most people leave out -- witchcraft is prohibited in the bible so smoking it is punishable by death according to biblical law. That really cracked me up for some reason.

John21
12-10-2006, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

N/A. There's a reason they make the desks small for third-graders - to move on.

Sophomoric reasoning:
Sophomoric reasoning is rationalizing about what one understands poorly. It's often apologetics (starting with a conclusion). Though not highly regarded, it's superior to parroting aphorisms.

If one's understanding is below freshman level, sophomoric reasoning may seem a desirable achievement. Nonetheless it shouldn't be regarded as an educational achievement.

alphatmw
12-10-2006, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sophomoric reasoning:
Sophomoric reasoning is rationalizing about what one understands poorly. It's often apologetics (starting with a conclusion). Though not highly regarded, it's superior to parroting aphorisms.

If one's understanding is below freshman level, sophomoric reasoning may seem a desirable achievement. Nonetheless it shouldn't be regarded as an educational achievement.

[/ QUOTE ] are all responses in this forum usually this poor?

thylacine
12-10-2006, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and

now i realize my "illegal non-sins" may be considered sins in some sense (insider trading is stealing, etc). if you think so, then think of some examples which would fit the "illegal non-sins" category because i can't think of any better examples at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as Divine Laws. Those are actually Human-made Laws with made-up Divineness. You knew that, right?

John21
12-10-2006, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sophomoric reasoning:

[/ QUOTE ] are all responses in this forum usually this poor?

[/ QUOTE ]

To non-issues - yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." ...

"judge not lest ye be judged"

alphatmw
12-10-2006, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as Divine Laws. Those are actually Human-made Laws with made-up Divineness. You knew that, right?

[/ QUOTE ] did you notice my question was directed at christians?

thylacine
12-10-2006, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] did you notice my question was directed at christians?

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong level nevermind