PDA

View Full Version : Harrah's 300 + 40 AC Circuit Event Poorly Run

Pocono Drew
12-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I was at the WSOP Circuit event at Harrah's in AC today. If this is any indication of how these events will go in the future then count me out. They had to split the field between the ballroom (about 40 tables) and the downstairs poker room (about 28 tables). I was there at the start time in the downstairs poker room and was surprised to see that there were no chips on the table. Several minutes pass with no communication from any of the staff as to when we were starting or where our chips were. About 12:25 I see 1 guy with a box of chips start taking them out going table to table. Just one guy. Then a woman goes around saying that the buttin is seat 11. OK great. I still don't have chips. Then we hear that they started the tourney upstairs already. This was at about 12:40. We still have no chips at our table. Then I notice that the tables that do have chips in the room are starting to play. Despite our outcries to any staff that would listen, my table didn't get chips until almost 1PM. Then they announce that everyone downstairs will play an extra 20 minutes through the break to catch up. That's great but how can they start these other tables in the same room 15-20 minutes before everyone had chips?

It really was an unfair situation for some of us and Harrah's needs to prepare better for these tourneys and manage them properly if they want to be taken seriously in the poker community. The communication was piss poor and the staff was less than helpful. Hope they enjoyed the 32K in rake they made off this tourney. They certainly didn't earn it.

Pocono Drew

Hollywade
12-10-2006, 01:10 AM
I hope this doesn't become a habit. I'm planning on going to the Council Bluffs event in late January.

BigBuffet
12-10-2006, 06:35 PM
It is a habit. At least since this summer...

betgo
12-10-2006, 10:32 PM
It may seem like I am making excuses for them, but they probably weren't expecting 800 entries with the Taj holding side events simultaneously. Also, it is a pretty small poker room, so they may be understaffed. Obviously, they need to get better organized. Incidently, the Taj of course has some problems in how they run their events too.

I guess I am feeling reasonably well disposed towards Harrahs since they are giving me a free room. I hope the events this week are better handled.

sonofstev
12-11-2006, 02:31 PM
This is a marked contrast to the guys who ran Caesars Indiana, who also do stuff for the World Poker Showdown. The Caesars Indiana event was run with 100% professionalism. Every day started within 120 seconds of the start time. Levels went up, the final table was announced well - it was just done right. If only Warren Karp and his people could run ALL the circuit events.

tourney guy
12-12-2006, 01:30 AM
One can see by the decision not have John Grooms run the Circuit event that they are not serious about poker.

I do recall that the Circuit event at Bally's last year, run by Bob Daily and Michael Matts, was nicely done.

This year, the quality has shrunk....dramatically.

All they care about is juice, and nothing else.

traction
12-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Love the higher juice. When does it stop?

MrFizzbin
12-12-2006, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess would be when players stop playing in the events...

If you provide a product, and nobody buys it, generally the prices drop or the product is discontinued.

Primerib
12-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Hello! I am the Poker Room manager at Horseshoe in Council Bluffs and I assure you we will be ready for the event. We have a system in place to coordinate should the size of our event spill over into an overflow area. The tournaments will start on time, and will run smoothly. Since this is our 1st event, the entire property is motivated to make sure it goes off without a hitch. I look forward to seeing you all there!

ligastar
12-13-2006, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hello! I am the Poker Room manager at Horseshoe in Council Bluffs and I assure you we will be ready for the event. We have a system in place to coordinate should the size of our event spill over into an overflow area. The tournaments will start on time, and will run smoothly. Since this is our 1st event, the entire property is motivated to make sure it goes off without a hitch. I look forward to seeing you all there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. GL to you and your staff during this big event!

traction
12-13-2006, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess would be when players stop playing in the events...

If you provide a product, and nobody buys it, generally the prices drop or the product is discontinued.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the economics lesson. however my post was rhetorical. maybe you should study your semantics.