PDA

View Full Version : 25NL: QQ on button versus super-nit UTG open

Check_The_Nuts
12-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Villian was 16/9 at the time this hand happened. I figure he's pretty frigin nitty to be 16/9, and his UTG range is probably pretty frekin tight. He's got an 18% Attention to steal, so he probably adjusts for position. I'm guessing his UTG open range is probably 88++/AQs+/AQo. I planned on folding the river if he bet (regardless of the jack hitting or not). Is there any reason to reraise preflop? Rest of the hand OK?

-->200 hands on him.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($40.05)
CO ($20.50)
Hero ($56.75)
SB ($21.80)
BB ($32.80)
UTG ($26.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.85) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.75</font>, Hero calls $1.75.

Turn: ($6.35) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($10.35) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $10.35

kitaristi0
12-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I reraise preflop. 16/9 isn't that tight. He probably doesn't call the river with ace-high so checking the river seems ok.

Check_The_Nuts
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm a little worried about me reraising perflop will force him to play correctly. He'll call with pairs and stack me on the flop, or he can call with AK and go far when he hits an A or K. And if he shoves AK preflop I'm going to fold :/.

kitaristi0
12-09-2006, 08:45 PM
If he calls with small pairs he is making a mistake assuming 100BB stacks unless you really suck postflop and he is magic. And if he calls with AK he'll hit a pair 35% of the time and will win your cbet and then you shut down unless you improve.

phatgtdmb
12-09-2006, 08:47 PM
reraise preflop...positioning here allows you to do this pretty easily....if he checks the turn....bet.....if he re-raises you pre-flop consider folding

Djeorge
12-09-2006, 09:21 PM
3bet preflop. It gives him a chance to define his hand furhter but it's mainly for value as you're ahead of all but the nittiest of ranges here. I would either raise his weak bet on the turn because his bet doesnt look like AA or KK there. I think checking the river is fine as betting has no value.

clownslayer2
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
re raising pre flop is key. It makes you get a good feel for your hand. from what Ive learned, if you re raise and someone has AA or KK they usually will push. If thats the case, its a fold. I know its hard to lay down QQ pre flop but it can be done. You definitely need to play back at him somepoint with the position you have on him, just to get a feel for where he is.

Check_The_Nuts
12-09-2006, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3bet preflop. It gives him a chance to define his hand furhter but it's mainly for value as you're ahead of all but the nittiest of ranges here. I would either raise his weak bet on the turn because his bet doesnt look like AA or KK there. I think checking the river is fine as betting has no value.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read the thread? His range IS nitty. He IS nitty. This is why I don't like reraising preflop. A good point is its hard for him to call with pocket pairs. Against nits like these I like to call with suited connectors 56s-&gt;JTs, cause their live cards and I can take the pot away on low boards. I don't like reraising QQ here because I feel it defines my range TOO much, since I feel its unlikely I'd reraise him light.

I should point out that the point above about pocket pairs makes me like reraising with QQ more.