PDA

View Full Version : time management

clownslayer2
12-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Does anyone find it tough to manage some poker time? Often I find myself with an open hour before I go somewhere, saying "Lets sit down for 45 minutes and play some". These are times where I tend to lose. How bad of an idea is it to do that when you are on restricted time? Also, how quickly will one get up from a table if they are feeling a bad night?

Sleek
12-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Playing cash games when you're limited on time is perfectly fine. Remember that you've got to think of the game as an ongoing and never-ending session.

Not sure what you mean by "feeling a bad night," but I don't quit just because I'm losing. If I think I'm playing bad, I'll force myself to quit immediately whether I'm winning or losing.

CallYNotRaise06
12-10-2006, 04:59 AM
i do this sometimes, but i prefer playing longer sessions(like 4+hours)

Spanky1974
12-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I play best for the first hour or so. Nothing wrong at all if you can get in 45 minutes here and there. I haven't learned to quit when I'm playing badly. Makes for some bad sessions trying to catch back up when I'm on tilt. Maybe you're not able to focus as well if you're worried that you only have 45 minutes to play. Just play your best, and review your session before you play again.

mmaddalena
12-10-2006, 10:36 PM
it is interesting but when I play online, I cant play as long of a session. Start to lose interest. I rather play shorter sessions online, so 1 hour seems fine to me. I might not bluff alot since you can not profit from that image later on in the session.

Phytopath
12-10-2006, 11:07 PM
I usually only play for an hour or so at a session, 4-6 tabling of course.

I find I do best if I keep my sessions to 2h max, take a break and keep playing afterwards if I still feel like it.

Mrage
12-10-2006, 11:39 PM
I find my short sessions don't vary too much from normal as far as winning/losing ratio. If you aren't already multi-tabling it might help to add tables to reduce variance.

If you find it too stressful to play when short on time and it affects your play, simple, don't do it. Personally, the reason I ultimately made the switch from tournaments to cash games was because I could play whenever for however long I felt like it. I ended up liking them better for other reasons but the flexibility is still awesome.

SCBielski
12-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I find that I focus very well for the first hour or so, but atfer that my attention/level of play begins to deteriorate. My sessions generally last around two hours, so I tend not to like to force myself to cut my best hours of a session short. Generally you'll find that you get into "a rhythem" and will be on an upswing and then you'll look at the clock and realize it's time to go somewhere; I try to avoid this. Never cut your potential profit short, holla.

Shaddux
12-11-2006, 12:00 AM
If I play longer than 2 hrs, my reads vanish lol...too tired I guess

HoldenFoldem
12-11-2006, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it is interesting but when I play online, I cant play as long of a session. Start to lose interest. I rather play shorter sessions online, so 1 hour seems fine to me. I might not bluff alot since you can not profit from that image later on in the session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play more tables at the same time to keep interest higher, and get more selective on the hands you play insuring more action from the more tables.

mmaddalena
12-11-2006, 12:48 AM
it is more of the fact that I have 4 kids at home then my mind.