PDA

View Full Version : when should u actually call a raise with Suited Connecters

slick_rick
12-09-2006, 01:15 PM
when should u call a raise with SCs or should u never?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 9♠ 8♠
UTG calls, 3 folds, CO raises to $2.5, Button calls, SB folds, Hero folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 7♥ 4♠ T♥ ($8.25, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: J♣ ($8.25, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO bets $5, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $5 returned to CO.

Antinome
12-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Always- in position with 12+ times the bet behind against a predictable opponent. Sometimes you can even raise if you are deeper.

Sometimes- OOP with 15+ times the bet OOP against a very predictable opponent. OOP with 12+ times the bet in a very multiway pot. Feel free to fold against tough opposition.

Convert your hand, show stacks!

Panthro
12-09-2006, 01:39 PM
In position - almost always. I follow the 5-10 rule for playing SCs.

Out of position - I fold *most* SCs against a single villain, and call *most* SCs against 2 or more villains. The more villain's in the pot, the weaker the SC I'll play.

Antinome
12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
I think the important thing to notice is that the most critical part of both our answers, which are largely in agreement is that both of us decide based on STACK SIZES, which you didn't even think to include.

Stack sizes determine your implied odds, the amount of money you could possibly win if you hit your hand hard and he hit his hand somewhat less hard.

Genz
12-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but it depends not only on YOUR stack size, but on whose is SMALLER. Because you want to know if you have implied odds if you hit a big hand. It's no use, if you have 100 BBs behind, but your opponent is a 10 BB shortstack and is almost all-in with the bet. So if either you or your opponent does not have a stack big enough to pay you off adequately, it's a fold. The 5/10-rule is certainly a good rule of thumb.

Just wanted to make that clear.

slick_rick
12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
whats the 5/10 rule??

4_2_it
12-11-2006, 11:10 AM
I'll add that if the pot is multi-way then I am more inclined to call from the blinds. I will only play SCs HU OOP against the worst fish or a bad TAG (i.e. one who cannot fold QQ on a 456TJ board).

Genz
12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whats the 5/10 rule??

[/ QUOTE ]

If the raise is 5% or less of the smaller stacks involved, it's an easy fold. If it is 10% or more, it's a fold. In between, it's a judgement call. It's basically saying, that if you can win 20 times the raise, you have implied odds in any case anyway, if you can only win less than 10 times the raise, you usually don't have them. This formula is originally applied to calling raises with PPs, since you are about 8:1 to make a set and therefore need to "make up" 8 times the raise to be break even and some more to show a profit. If one of the stacks involved isn't big enough, you can't profitably call.

cjs
12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
You mean call if it's less than 5% of stack.