PDA

View Full Version : bad beats is the reason for my lack of results

essence86
12-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Many of you will be aggrevated with this thread title.

Playing 25NL on FTP.. lol.. that ainīt easy.
A bunch of nits, playing tighter than *****.
And when I do get all in with AA or KK. The nits draw out.
So, you canīt play many hands. Because the only time you get played back at, is when they have a better hand than you.
And if you play nit yourself, you lose to another nit who happened to have a slighlt better hand than you have.

"Donīt bluff at 25NL" - Well dammit, I aint!

PaulDenh
12-09-2006, 10:45 AM
noone cares

SnappyJoe
12-09-2006, 11:12 AM
^ qft

Sir Winalot
12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
5... 4... 3... 2...

HoldEmNewby
12-09-2006, 12:44 PM
The draw outs happen because you used to touch yourself as a kid and now god hates you.

Archon_Wing
12-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Maybe you're the nit here.

Why does everyone think they're the unluckiest person in the world? Look around. There are folks that regularly run far worse than you ever will.

P.S. This thread is worthless without graphs and hand histories.

Combusted
12-09-2006, 12:48 PM
But what would raptor jesus do in this situation?

clownslayer2
12-09-2006, 12:55 PM
support take this trash off.

Sir Winalot
12-09-2006, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But what would raptor jesus do in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Eat the poor cat.

Pokey
12-09-2006, 01:23 PM
A few comments....

1. I look back on my $25NL days with a powerful fondness, because I so desperately miss how loose the tables were. These days, I'm usually forced to play at 6-max tables where the table average VPIP is slightly over 30%: that's what qualifies as "loose" for me. Maybe your definition of "nit" needs some major revision -- for me, a nit is someone who plays under 16% of their hands.

2. Work on your table selection. If you're playing full-ring, consider switching to 6-max where the competition is easier, your learning curve will be faster, and the players are generally looser. If you're already playing 6-max, try this pregame ritual: open the 16 tables with the highest pot sizes, then data mine for 15 minutes. Now sit at / join the waitlist for the tables with the highest VPIPs. I'm pretty sure that if you try that, you won't be playing against nothing but nits.

3. If you ARE at a table full of nits, the answer is NOT to try and out-nit them; the answer is to play smallball and steal many, many, many small pots when you have crap and they also have crap. Try getting more aggressive against the nits and watch them go away. NOTE: if they don't go away, then they're not really nits.

4. If you actually have players who won't fold (we call those "calling stations," not "nits") then wait until later streets to get your money in. There's no reason to push the flop against a calling station when you can wait, push the river, and still get called.

5. Change your starting hand selection. AA/KK type hands are great in smallish pots, but if you're mostly playing big pots you should be looking for hands like suited aces, small pairs, and suited connectors that are typically either folding bad flops or showing down monsters (sets, straights, flushes, full houses). Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

For everybody else: is it really necessary to mock a frustrated newcomer with less experience and understanding of the game? Can't we just give him a tiny bit of encouragement and helpful advice? Have we truly forgotten what it feels like to be new to and frustrated with the game of poker? One of the things I love about uNL and SSNL is how friendly and welcoming it is; let's try and keep it that way, OK?

Supwithbates
12-09-2006, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few comments....

1. I look back on my $25NL days with a powerful fondness, because I so desperately miss how loose the tables were. These days, I'm usually forced to play at 6-max tables where the table average VPIP is slightly over 30%: that's what qualifies as "loose" for me. Maybe your definition of "nit" needs some major revision -- for me, a nit is someone who plays under 16% of their hands.

2. Work on your table selection. If you're playing full-ring, consider switching to 6-max where the competition is easier, your learning curve will be faster, and the players are generally looser. If you're already playing 6-max, try this pregame ritual: open the 16 tables with the highest pot sizes, then data mine for 15 minutes. Now sit at / join the waitlist for the tables with the highest VPIPs. I'm pretty sure that if you try that, you won't be playing against nothing but nits.

3. If you ARE at a table full of nits, the answer is NOT to try and out-nit them; the answer is to play smallball and steal many, many, many small pots when you have crap and they also have crap. Try getting more aggressive against the nits and watch them go away. NOTE: if they don't go away, then they're not really nits.

4. If you actually have players who won't fold (we call those "calling stations," not "nits") then wait until later streets to get your money in. There's no reason to push the flop against a calling station when you can wait, push the river, and still get called.

5. Change your starting hand selection. AA/KK type hands are great in smallish pots, but if you're mostly playing big pots you should be looking for hands like suited aces, small pairs, and suited connectors that are typically either folding bad flops or showing down monsters (sets, straights, flushes, full houses). Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

For everybody else: is it really necessary to mock a frustrated newcomer with less experience and understanding of the game? Can't we just give him a tiny bit of encouragement and helpful advice? Have we truly forgotten what it feels like to be new to and frustrated with the game of poker? One of the things I love about uNL and SSNL is how friendly and welcoming it is; let's try and keep it that way, OK?

[/ QUOTE ]
nice post

essence86
12-09-2006, 06:41 PM
thanks for your reply.
Yes I am a newbie, and frustrated. =)

Esmerelda
12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The draw outs happen because you used to touch yourself as a kid and now god hates you.

[/ QUOTE ]

derosnec
12-09-2006, 07:17 PM
25l 6max (at stars at least) is not as donkish as people here make it out to be. actually it is pretty nitty. if you want to see donks, go to 6max limit or HU SNGs. at 25nl im often up against good hands when the money goes in.

crazymoose
12-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Is your screen name on FTP similar to your user name here?

OneFive
12-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Just a thought, but trying playing your sessions during peak hours. I'm on the west coast and play most nights from 8-12. About 10 normally take a break and when I come back I notice the # of players on FTP drops significantly (like 29k down to 13k) and when I look for NL25 tables to join the pot size's are smaller and the games get much tighter pre flop. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for this, east coast people going to bed or bad players have gone broke already, whatever. But, I try to play tight and build big pots during the peak hours (lots of loose/bad players) and more of a small ball when I notice lots of new players and play tightens up. Sometimes I just quit when I notice play tightening up too much because it requires a lot more discipline, something I don't have a lot of when it gets late and i've been playing 4-5 tables for a couple of hours.

Big Poppa Smurf
12-09-2006, 09:58 PM
pokey you have the patience of a saint

EMc
12-09-2006, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pokey you have the patience of a saint

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

the_muppeteer
12-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I had my bad session at FTP 25nl tonight also.. reverse problem tho, I stacked some ******* nits 3-4 times at one table, and won it back at the 3 other tables I was playing by stacking / stealing from LAGs and calling stations.

So if I hadn't played against the nits, I wouldve been up 4 buyins instead of breaking even :|

Oh.. and instead of bluffing the calling stations you should just make them belive your bluffing when you hit a monster and get payed of by their second pair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice post pokey

holdme
12-09-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm surprised this thread got so many replies, and I probably would have flamed OP if not for your post, Pokey.

kitaristi0
12-10-2006, 12:08 AM
EMc,

I'd like to retract my notification of the mods for I hadn't seen Pokey's post yet when I pressed the button.

EMc
12-10-2006, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised this thread got so many replies, and I probably would have flamed OP if not for your post, Pokey.

[/ QUOTE ]

it woulda been locked a long time ago if not for that.