PDA

View Full Version : NL25 - Overpair on dangerous board

Coiote
12-08-2006, 07:14 AM
This is definitely the kind of hand where i have the most problems. Some hands i decide to push when i have an overpair but sometimes i find myself behind a set, 2 pair or something else. So i'm always a bit confused on what to do here.

Villain is 20/2.4/1.15 over 126 hands

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.65
UTG+1: $10.90
Hero: $24.50
Button: $36.60
SB: $27.25
BB: $15.05

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
2 folds, Hero raises to $1, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif ($3.1, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $2.25, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($7.6, 2 players)
Hero bets $3.75, Button raises to $14.75, Hero ?

Dr_Doctr
12-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Villain seems pretty tight and passive. What I would do is bet more on the flop i.e. the pot, and then bet more on the turn also, say $5-6. If villian then calls turn, c/f the river if it's a decent-sized bet or c/c if you like your odds. If he raises turn, fold.

Reasons for these plays; he could be on a draw / we want to find out early if he flopped a set/straight/two pair to avoid paying off on the river / a bigger overpair is not out of the question given villian's stats

Da GOAT
12-08-2006, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain seems pretty tight and passive. What I would do is bet more on the flop i.e. the pot, and then bet more on the turn also, say $5-6. If villian then calls turn, c/f the river if it's a decent-sized bet or c/c if you like your odds. If he raises turn, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i tend to agree

Epple
12-08-2006, 08:32 AM
When you get raised on the turn, your overpair is no good anymore, fold.

wax head
12-08-2006, 08:49 AM
This is an ugly board, and there's not much you can beat, best case scenario is A9, maybe A8h. But The board is very connected, there aren't many cards you will be happy to see on the river. Overpairs beat you, A lot of underpairs beat you, various connectors can have you beat too with the straights and 2 pair possibilities.

It does look like he's trying to get you off the flush draw rather than drawing to it himself. On the other hand you have played it weakly, so it's hard to know where you really stand. As played I'd fold and wait for a better spot.

I agree with the other guys, pot the flop and 2/3 pot the turn for a better idea of where you stand.

Tiki
12-08-2006, 08:54 AM
With villains stats my best guess is that that turn bet represents a scared bet from a set (maybe two pair). Don't give him value . Fold.

Coiote
12-08-2006, 01:59 PM
I did fold here, there were too many hands that could beat me.

I agree that i should've bet more on the flop and turn.