PDA

View Full Version : Is this the time to C/R?

Roadstar
12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
50NL 6 max

Effective stacks ~$40

Villain - a big lag at around 30/22. He's fairly aggressive all around, both pre and post flop.
I rarely rarely go for C/R (on the flop at least). Is this the time to do it?

Preflop

Hero gets A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif in BB

UTG (villain) raises to $2, folds to Hero who reraises to $8, UTG calls.

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, intending to check raise all in. Like it or not?

I figure villain will certainly 4 bet preflop w/ AA or KK. With the exception of perhaps a poorly played KQs, there is nothing villain has that could call a 3/4 PSB here on the flop.

At the same time giving a free card is not a disaster as its very difficult for AQ, AJ, 88+ to catch up - and could give me more value bets later on. So checking at least gives me a chance to snap off a bluff on the flop. Yes?

So choices are:

1) just bet out
2) check/call
3) CRAI

Abramovic
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
What makes you think hes going to bet? If you think hes going to bet, sure, C/C is ok. your miles ahead of most here (splitting is also likely). If hes going to bet into you, sure.

thac
12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
I would just bet out, if he has QQ-TT, he'll probably check behind fearing that you have KK/AA/AK.

I think if you bet out, it looks more "automatic".. you'd bet out if you missed probably, so bet out when you hit?

Roadstar
12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Hes aggressive both pre and post flop - so thats why I think he might bet. Plus even if he doesn't its not a disaster because the board is virtually drawless.

I just thought a bet here achieves nothing but happy to see what others have to say.

Guizones
12-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Hmmm... I think I would bet, around half the pot (maybe a little less), showing weakness... It's more likely that he will raise you or call, and you build the pot... if he folds... you're happy too. IMO... (but i'm stupid)

Oranzith
12-07-2006, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... I think I would bet, around half the pot (maybe a little less), showing weakness... It's more likely that he will raise you or call, and you build the pot... if he folds... you're happy too. IMO... (but i'm stupid)

[/ QUOTE ]

FPS - attempting to induce a bluff works, but not really in this instance. Likely OP has a good image, and a weak bet will just stand out like a red flag.

Bet out - Either you will get action or not. I don't think he would be so foolish to bet after you led PF unless he really hit his hand, in which case you are crushed and just donked off your stack.

orange
12-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I think c/c is best on the flop. Then doing something on the turn (either lead or c/r ai). 1/2 pot bet is tempting too.

JackAll
12-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Don't c/r the flop when you were the last to raise pf. Not c-betting is wierd and will often make villian more nervous and so they are less likely to bet for you to c/r.

Bet the flop. Save the c/r's for the turn to punish floaters.

Roadstar
12-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah I do agree a check would be very suspicious. Anyway heres the action

Hero checks, Villain bets $5, Hero?! - obviously hes trying to take it down very cheaply... almost stupidly...

so call, min raise or push? thx

fsista
12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
I think that checkraising is completely useless until you hit either 100$NL or 200$NL. I believe it sucks very much at those stakes though, since anyone with an underpair will fear the king and not bet, and many kings will check behind since they need to SLOWPLAY THEIR MONZZTAAAHH!! Just bet somewhere between 9 and 15$ depending on villian, then call a push or get it in someway on any turn.

Check_The_Nuts
12-08-2006, 12:14 AM
call the 5 dollar bet, lead the turn weakly. Fun times.

GtrHtr
12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think c/c is best on the flop. Then doing something on the turn (either lead or c/r ai). 1/2 pot bet is tempting too.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

orange
12-08-2006, 01:33 AM
our check may be interpreted as weakness, we will generally fold out alot worse hands with a bet on the flop. i think we are way ahead here and i'm not concerned with them hitting a 2 outer (if that). i think inducing action is pretty nice too. i dont really see much value in betting here in this spot vs. a short stacked villan on this type of board.

ahnuld
12-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Bet the flop. If he folds a hand like QQ or worse every time we reraise and he cant beat top pair we make lots of monies. Bet here to for the metagame then.