PDA

View Full Version : AK facing a big donk raise and huge flop overbet

Dr_Doctr
12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I had just sat down at this table a few hands ago. Villian is unknown - no notes and just a few hands played. Anyway, he open raises to 10 times the big blind and I'm on the button with AK offsuit. What do people think of my play here? I flat-call and the flop brings an ace and no other face cards. Villian goes all-in for about 5 times the pot. I've seen lots of these donk plays before where someone raises 10 blinds preflop, misses the flop, and then shoves their whole stack in to try 'protect' their initial raise. A continuation bet, donk style. So at this stage I'm sure that the only thing that beats me is AA, and there is no way he would make either this preflop raise and flop bet with that hand, or a freak two-pair/set. I think the latter is unlikely for the same reasons as AA. I'm also thinking that if I'm going to fold with this board, why the hell did I flat-call the preflop raise? I notice that a good portion of one's edge at micro NL comes not from calculated value-betting etc. but from figuring out the occasional crazy plays and to be willing to shove your whole stack in with top pair. Here is the hand and the results in white below. All comments welcome.

** Dealing Down Cards **
Dealt to Dr_Doctr: [Kc, As]

Player 2: Raise ($1)
Dr_Doctr: Call ($1)
Player 0: Fold
Player 1: Fold

** Dealing Flop **
Community cards: [6s, Ad, 9d]
Player 2: Bet ($9)
Dr_Doctr: Call ($8.90)

Player 2: Show Cards ($0)
Dr_Doctr: Show Cards ($0)

** Dealing Turn **
Community cards: [4s]

** Dealing River **
Community cards: [6h]

Results in white below
<font color="white">** Showdown **
Main pot $18.95, Rake $1
Side pot #1 $0.10, Rake $0

Summary Player 2: bet $10, won $0.10, net $-9.90, HoleCards [9s, Jc], HiHand [two pairs, nines and sixes] [9s, 9d, 6s, 6h, Ad], won $0.10 from side pot #1
Summary Dr_Doctr: bet $9.90, won $18.95, net $9.05, HoleCards [Kc, As], HiHand [two pairs, aces and sixes] [As, Ad, 6s, 6h, Kc], won $18.95 from main pot
</font>

orange
12-07-2006, 11:11 PM
RR PF. You RR for alot of reasons, value/etc.

Did he open shove the flop? If so, then this is fine.

SirNeb
12-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Ok, these limits, it's almost a must call. Also if you are to call this preflop, this is what you are looking for. Unless you have huge read on this villian, the easiest thing for you to do is to fold preflop. Unless he does 10xbb all the time, that is his "norm" then sure call him because you have a great hand. But if he does this like once in a great while(200hands:1) then he's basically telling you his hand. If given the implied odds, I'd probably call him with trash more than AK or whatever, because your chance is higher to hit something that won't help him.

The thing I hate about people playing their hand when raised preflop is that, all they are doing is hope the flop can make some miracle for them. They well know that if the flop even hit their TP, they will still fold. The implied odds is usually pretty good but you most likely won't flop anything, so you are throwing money away a lot of the times.

This villian here obviously is either screwing around or has JJ+, once in a while he'll have AK/AQ. Given your hand, he probably has QQ or JJ. The flop is definitely a call, AA out of all this range is the only thing you have to worry about. Once in a super great great while, he will have small pocket pairs. These guys that play like that I'd reraise them all in with AK preflop all day long.

SirNeb
12-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Ok, I just looked at results. This is the typical play at these limits. These players are usually very easily spottable(and profitable!). But honestly, nobody ever bet 10xbb preflop, he is just telling everyone that he is a bad player or doens't know how to bet. Usually even with AK at higher limits, I will fold 9 out 10 times if I have zero read on this villian. Hands come and go, I don't mind giving up a great hand for not losing money.

Dr_Doctr
12-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the comments

Dr_Doctr
12-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't understand why you would re-raise here with no read. I don't want to be pushing preflop with AK offsuit and no read whatsoever - but then, I can't remember the last time I saw someone raise 10 BBs with AA or KK, so you're probably right. I might start re-raising these 'I raise 10 BBs' guys with AK in future with no particular read. I may be playing weak here. Ha, usually I am trying to control the table so I wonder why I chicken out in spots like this.

Esmerelda
12-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of guys who almost never raise and then suddenly they make a big preflop raise. This means QQ+ in my experience with a high proportion of AA.

This is a different villain, I agree that knowing when to call these big overbets can be a significant portion of your edge at these levels. This looks like an excellent spot and I like your reasoning.

You will see this play from biggish pocket pairs when there is an overcard a lot, say JJ on a K83 board. Guys want to get their big preflop bet back and push way over the pot to scare you off. It is a risky call because AA is definitely in the range but a lot less likely to make the push than QQ or JJ.

deehi
12-08-2006, 08:49 AM
As for hands,when he pushed I would have folded. In this situation, with no read,Villian raises and than offers out a big bet. Though I have already looked at the results,right before that I put him on two pair or a set of nines. At these limits,opponents when reraised are generally gonna put you on AK,AQ,AJ,etc. So for an Ace to fall on the board,he was not scared of you. I would have guessed two pair or set. If he had bet out much smaller, I would have gave him a flush draw or one pair. But in this instance, I would have felt I was behind.
Best advice I have heard is that,"fish twick when the have a big hand". Often, they don't know what to do to extract value that they use brute force. In this instance,he's clubbing you over the head caveman style with his hand.

Dr_Doctr
12-08-2006, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At these limits,opponents when reraised are generally gonna put you on AK,AQ,AJ,etc. So for an Ace to fall on the board,he was not scared of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't re-raise.