PDA

View Full Version : Question only for devout atheists

MaxWeiss
12-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I know it's a small sample size, but I am curious to see if, even with the sample size there is a significant correlation. I predict there will be, but let's find out.

arahant
12-06-2006, 12:34 AM
'reality has a well-known liberal bias'
also...'devout atheists'? I get your point, though.

Hopey
12-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Please make a similar poll about our views on masturbation and pre-marital sex. Believe it or not, most of us are okay with those things too.

ojc02
12-06-2006, 12:37 AM
You should have a separate poll for the theists if you want to see a difference.

You can't really get a correlation with nominal data but you there would likely be a significant difference between the answers for theists and atheists

arahant
12-06-2006, 12:37 AM
not me, man...that's why i support gay marriage.

Hopey
12-06-2006, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, move to Ontario then. We'll marry you and your boyfriend without batting an eyelash.

MaxWeiss
12-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Sorry. So far it's 8-0 pro.

arahant
12-06-2006, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, move to Ontario then. We'll marry you and your boyfriend without batting an eyelash.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa...you got me all wrong! (not that there's anything wrong that...)

Silent A
12-06-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what a "devout" atheist is.

I don't want to skew your results.

Do I have to be an overly zealous preacher who goes around trying to prove to everyone that God definitely doesn't exist?

Or is it enough to simply be comfortable and reasonably confident in my lack of belief?

I like to think of myself as a "serene" atheist, don't know if that makes me "devout" though.

MaxWeiss
12-06-2006, 02:31 AM
A simple lack of belief in god will do! It was mostly a joke. Sorry about the confusion!

arahant
12-06-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm sure there's been polling on this by someone. Maybe we should start asking if there are any atheists that oppose gay marriage.

DougShrapnel
12-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Define married. equal rights under the law, yes. Equal rights under a private organization no. Not because they(gays) shouldn't have it, but becuase people(mistaken people) have the necessitity to place value on wha tthey believe is valuable.

evank15
12-06-2006, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, move to Canada then. We'll marry you and your boyfriend without batting an eyelash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gay Marriage is a Charter issue in this country. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ensures fairness and equality for every single Canadian, be they black/white/yellow/green/disabled/native/gay/straight/neo-con.

It really is a non-issue. Equal rights for all. Denying that is one step away from women not voting and black slaves.

MidGe
12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Equal rights for all. Denying that is one step away from women not voting and black slaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh! What else is there to say! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Magic_Man
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
If you voted no, why?

MaxWeiss
12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you voted no, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

keith123
12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
probably because they don't believe the state should be sanctioning any marraiges.

Prodigy54321
12-06-2006, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
probably because they don't believe the state should be sanctioning any marraiges.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is basically my position, but I voted yes

arahant
12-06-2006, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is basically my position, but I voted yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done. Too many people here who seem to be way too literal to grasp the spirit of the question sometimes...

MaxWeiss
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well done. Too many people here who seem to be way too literal to grasp the spirit of the question sometimes...

[/ QUOTE ]

And thanks for recognizing that. I put it up too fast before I really thought about all the possibilities.

BobOjedaFan
12-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I am an atheist.

I believe that the state SHOULD sanction marriage because the institution itself is important in human society and it is neccasary for our protection. Imagine a state where people could proclaim love for one another and to live together, one gets a job, one raises the kids and then after 30 years the one with the job picks up and leaves. No legal protection for the housewife?, Chaos

I am AGAINST gay marriage because the current state of marriage is in wide dissaray (50%? of 1st marriages end in divorce) Now is certainly not the time to be changing the rules to it just to accomodate a small % of people who have an abnormality. Yes homosexuality though it doesn't make you a bad person, is not 'normal.' What's next, should people be allowed to marry animals, children? where do we draw the line.

However I don't believe any of my beliefs because Jesus said so or because Allah hates gays. I don't believe in them either. There you just found an atheist against gay marriage for logical reasons. yay!

valenzuela
12-09-2006, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's next, should people be allowed to marry animals, children? where do we draw the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about consenting adults?

madnak
12-09-2006, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist.

I believe that the state SHOULD sanction marriage because the institution itself is important in human society and it is neccasary for our protection. Imagine a state where people could proclaim love for one another and to live together, one gets a job, one raises the kids and then after 30 years the one with the job picks up and leaves. No legal protection for the housewife?, Chaos

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does legal protection have to be contingent on marriage? Oh wait, it doesn't. That's exactly why marriage is such a backwards thing as a state institution.

[ QUOTE ]
I am AGAINST gay marriage because the current state of marriage is in wide dissaray (50%? of 1st marriages end in divorce) Now is certainly not the time to be changing the rules to it just to accomodate a small % of people who have an abnormality. Yes homosexuality though it doesn't make you a bad person, is not 'normal.' What's next, should people be allowed to marry animals, children? where do we draw the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consent seems to work okay. Abnormality certainly doesn't. Moreover, 50% of marriages end in divorce so we should restrict marriage? Some reasoning. How about, for starters, why is it the government's job to make sure marriages are stable in the first place? Isn't that kind of, by definition, a personal thing?

[ QUOTE ]
However I don't believe any of my beliefs because Jesus said so or because Allah hates gays. There you just found an atheist against gay marriage for logical reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the first sentence is true...

vhawk01
12-09-2006, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's next, should people be allowed to marry animals, children? where do we draw the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about consenting adults?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, is that seriously some sort of novel idea that doesn't occur to people making the absurd slippery slope fallacy about gay marriage?

MaxWeiss
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist.

However I don't believe any of my beliefs because Jesus said so or because Allah hates gays. I don't believe in them either. There you just found an atheist against gay marriage for logical reasons. yay!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for the post. I was curious about a "why" from an atheist, and now I have one. I of course dispute your reasoning, and if you really want to get into it, you can PM me and I can break it down for you. But anyway, I appreciate the response. Thanks!

MaxWeiss
12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
It's 69-11 in favor. It's stayed that way for a while, so I figured I can post it now.

MaxWeiss
12-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Edit: It's already now 78-11. I think it jumped when I bumped the thread. It was a significant enough jump though that I felt I should repost it.

Sorry to bump my own thread again.