PDA

View Full Version : Which MGV variation of blackjack is best?

KSOT
02-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Looking at the rules for each game, it seems clear to me that Atlantic City rules are best since you can surrender. However, the T&C on a few of their sites say that Vegas Strip BJ isn't allowed at all for bonus clearing while the rest are merely allowed at a reduced rate. This leads me to believe that Vegas BJ is optimal for some reason, but I can't figure out why. The only other differing rule besides the surrender option is the that AC uses 8 decks while Vegas only uses 4, but what does that matter? People don't actually try to card count online, do they? O_o

If the number of decks DOES have something to do with it, wouldn't Bonus BJ or European BJ BJ be even better since they only use 2 decks? How about Single deck?

CalvinTy
02-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I can't answer all the questions.. but quickly from memory and playing BJ B&amp;M on the East Coast(and years ago online in its infancy)... first, yes, "AC rules" uses 8 decks, dealer stand on soft 17, <u>actually</u> no surrender, split max 3 times, split aces once, double down on any 2 cards permitted (preferably on 9-11 via basic strategy, of course). Using basic strategy, "AC rules", house advantage is just 0.44% or something like that.

Vegas rules.. don't have all details but I thought it was 6 decks, not 4 decks with Vegas rules? The house advantage for Vegas rules using basic strategy is higher, I don't have numbers but googling on web should yield you a lot of results.... would say at least 0.60% HA, not due to just "only" 1 rule variation but little differences that add up in the HA...

Hope this helps any /images/graemlins/frown.gif

* CalvinTy

Moneyline
02-03-2006, 09:10 AM
www.wizardofodds.com/blackjack (http://www.wizardofodds.com/blackjack)

the table under the "rule variatiions" heading should help. there's also a "calculator" on the site that will find the house edge for you if you type in the rules. i'm too lazy to link to that too, but if you poke around the site you'll find it.

thing85
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
KSOT,
From my understanding, Vegas Strip Blackjack is your best option (it's the one I always go with). I have no mathematical data to back it up, but from what I've read, it's the best BJ to play, at least on MGV software.

KSOT
02-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I must know why. I see no possible reason.

thing85
02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I'd like to know as well, so if you figure anything out, please do update this thread.

ColdCaller
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must know why. I see no possible reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not a simple exercise - it requires a lot of research into the reason that less number of decks is actually good for the player. Your comments about Bonus BJ or other variations are not valid since the rules change in those, such as dealer hitting soft 17 or ties going to the house.

http://wizardofodds.com/blackjack/bjapx9.html

Here are good charts detailing the values of the hands based on the decks available.

KSOT
02-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Very interesting, thanks.

I still don't really understand the reason for it, but I do see that the number of decks definitely matters.

playersare
02-03-2006, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still don't really understand the reason for it, but I do see that the number of decks definitely matters.

[/ QUOTE ]
fewer decks means that the fluctuation towards a player advantage is more frequent. though the overall percentage of low cards to high cards is always the same, the impact of 3 or 4 consecutive low cards affecting the percentage of an 8-deck shoe is negligible, but can be a major development in a single 52-card deck.

Dave H.
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
This should do it for you...

BlackJack Odds Calculator (By # of Decks) (http://www.qfit.com/blackjack-odds-calculator.htm)

Freakin
02-07-2006, 07:51 PM
vsbj is .36
acbj is .365

play vsbj if you can