PDA

View Full Version : Kill Phil...what do you all think of this book?

hdf1965
02-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I found it interesting reading and would be interested to know what you all thought of it.

C-Dog
02-03-2006, 01:02 AM
We loved it, just like we loved the search function...

C-Dog

RussianBear
02-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Hey, lay off the guy, nobody deserves to be flamed on their first ever post. Save that crap for his second or third post. Now I'll address the OP (Original Poster).
There has been much discussion here already of the book, "Kill Phil." Perhaps you can use the search function or just scroll through this very forum and find the discussions that have already taken place to see what others have thought of it. Also, feel free to look at the other topics here for active debate concerning the application of various poker strategies.
For Christ's sake, quit flaming new people. At least the guy wants to get better and not play like a donkey and you flame his very first post. Why piss on somebody that's taking the time to improve their game. Welcome him so he can learn and stop sucking out on me with J7o, K3o, etc when I'm playing aces.

ECDub
02-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Can we really ever have too many Kill Phil threads going in here at once? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooks
02-03-2006, 05:35 AM
I see this is your first post, so Hi.

I haven't read it the book yet, but I have read quite a bit about it.

17thR2a1stP

steelcmg
02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
The book is really good but i have not had success with it. But i havent had and success latley in SnGs or MTT. There are some really good concepts in the book and its really worth looking at and using i think when the blinds get high in tourneys.

RussianBear
02-03-2006, 03:21 PM
It's like that with every book. Every week there's a new LGB thread or Kill Phil or Super System or something about SSHE or Harrington, so, I understand the desire to reduce clutter from repetitive threads, but there is no need to flame a guy's first post.

Cosmo2000
02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
???

smbruin22
02-03-2006, 04:34 PM
way too much flaming on this site in general.

if we didn't have repititive threads, it would be pretty dead in here.

the search function is pretty mediocre (although you can use google advanced too)....

the only repetitive posts i dislike are the most general i.e. what is a good no-limit book?... but i don't mind a new kill phil thread every few days (then i don't have to wade thru 70 messages).....

more descriptive titles would be better too.

anyhow, that's my rant /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ECDub
02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I agree. Like the guy a few days ago that asked about what new books were coming out and he was immediately linked to the search function. The search is good, but it shouldn't be the answer to everything. If you don't know what new books are coming out, what would you even search for? And even if you found something, how old is the information going to be?

Same with asking a question in one of the other forums and getting a response like "You need to read book xyz." Some things do get a little repetitive though. The LGB threads were piling one after another where people never even bothered to look a page back that the topic had just recently been discussed. I guess it takes a little effort from everyone to keep the forum fresh and informative.

deacsoft
02-03-2006, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what would you even search for?

[/ QUOTE ]

New books. Narrow the search to only the Books/Publications forum.

[ QUOTE ]
how old is the information going to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the threads that the search function brings up come complete with the date they were posted. You can also narrow the search by age of the post.

RussianBear
02-03-2006, 09:43 PM
True, but the guy is obviously new to the site. We should welcome him, not flame him right away. I agree, it's sometimes frustrating to see the same thing asked over and over and over again, but I just skip through the threads that don't interest me.

MyTurn2Raise
02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
nope...flame away

the knowledge is there. If he wants it, he'll overcome what a few people say on an internet forum.

C-Dog
02-04-2006, 12:02 AM
I told him what we thought before I flamed him. Perhaps had th e question had some more expansive thoughts I could have chimed in without a flame.

C-Dog

RussianBear
02-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Or, you can just be a nice person and guide him to that knowledge.

MyTurn2Raise
02-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day
Teach a man to fish and he can eat for the rest of his life

I believe the flames encourage the discovery based learning system

mshalen
02-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I check in here every few days and try to read most of the posts BUT this thread contains the first reference to a Scott Frishman (sp?) book that I have noticed. So my conclusion is: the question may be repetative but you can always pick up new knowledge. Also I lurked here for about 6 months before I joined and waited another 3 months before I posted in an effort to understand the edicate of these forums.

RussianBear
02-04-2006, 12:06 PM
"edicate"
Spelling the word "etiquette" like that should get you flamed.

RussianBear
02-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, but nobody is giving the man a fish or teaching him to fish. They're throwing him overboard.

JackCase
02-04-2006, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day
Teach a man to fish and he can eat for the rest of his life

[/ QUOTE ]

Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day.

Teach a man to fish and he's got an excuse to sit in a boat and drink beer all day.