PDA

View Full Version : Poker Pro from Kazakhstan needs legislation advice

alelitan
12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
My name is Sandro. I am a citizen of Kazakhstan. I am a poker pro. I owe 50 thousand dollars to Citibank. I took that loan while doing Master's in University of Pennsylvania in great country of America.

So, I didn't pay interest on the loan back for couple months (I have interest only period now). This was cauze of some poker variance. Now they are calling me saying that I am gonna default and I am gonna be transfered to collection agency.

I don't really care, because I am out of the US, have no collateral there, so what? They will never even find me:-).

Only thing I care is if I will be able to visit US, if I owe money to US private institution, am bankrupt or whatever is in your law, just don't pay it back for a while? The Citibank is very mean to me, man. I don't like them.

I am gonna repay down the road when I have that money, of course. I think that you should pay your debts back. However in my country they don't give a [censored] about that kind of stuff.

mrhat187
12-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Well if you really are out of US, don't matter man, you can travel to the US all you want. People here don't pay bills all the time, all they can do is keep asking you to pay thats it, don't go to jail for it. Land of the free, home of the largest credit debt in the world /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

alelitan
12-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Thank you, that's cool. I love America, man. I am gonna repay, but when I become really rich (in 5-10 years).

Great education I got for free by Muskie Scholarship that sends about 300 people from Soviet Union to America to study for free every year. That's democrat Senator - Edmund Muskie.

I love Democrats!

redbeard
12-02-2006, 05:23 PM
When Borat was here I taught him the phrase that you should tell them when they harass you and it is, "Go F yourself."

JiffyPop100
12-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Youre a poker pro who cant pay his debts? Im sure you'll do very well.

Get real dude. Set up a payment schedule, you friggin mooch. Citibank is mean to you? You owe them $50K. WTF do you expect.

They dont care about this kind of thing in your country? Well there is one of many reasons why you have a 3rd world country.

No offense, but you disgust me.

alelitan
12-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't have money and I cannot pay the loan at this period of my life. Is the person that doesn't have money disgusting to you? OK, F YOU, THEN!!!!!

If not, what else is disgusting there, u materialist animal?

sebbb
12-02-2006, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Get real dude. Set up a payment schedule, you friggin mooch. Citibank is mean to you? You owe them $50K. WTF do you expect.

They dont care about this kind of thing in your country? Well there is one of many reasons why you have a 3rd world country.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF

permafrost
12-02-2006, 06:20 PM
I see you got out of Seattle quickly. Back to Kazakhstan?

alelitan
12-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Well, I am in Seattle still, but leaving soon:-). Want to go to Macau.

Citibank does not even talk to me, man. Only call center people. Do they give a [censored] about their customers? They have horrible customer service.

I would never have paid my money to them, but I like this country because it gave me free education. And if I don't pay, Citibank will receive the money from the government anyway, I guess.

This is the reason I will pay back, not to screw the government who gave me best education in the world for free.

Reciprocity is important.

JiffyPop100
12-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Citibank wont get any money back from the government if you dont pay them. They will write it off as a loss which in the long run, costs the rest of us who pay our bills. We pay higher fees because of people like you.

If you dont have the $50K right now, set up a payment schedule like everyone else does. I doubt they expect you to pay the entire $50K at one time.

You just want to get out of paying the money back and you know it.

If you cant get a loan and then pay it back, you will never in your life make it as a poker pro. A pro poker player needs to have significantly more financial disclipline than just about any other profession and you obviously dont have it.

What stakes do you play?

alelitan
12-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I started poker in Summer. Now I win about 25 bucks per hour, small limits.

I want to pay my debt back. I want to get the restructurization or consolidation, or whatever it is. Second chance, in normal human language. And they say that the only option I have is to pay. So, I am saying to them: Oh, yeah? You know what, I have option just to NOT pay.

And than will negotiate it further. I am just sending a signal that I don't give a [censored] about them. Which is true, by the way.

The reason of this post is to get advice on how serious the situation is. I can go live anywhere, but I don't want to miss on chance of visiting NY sometimes.

JiffyPop100
12-02-2006, 07:46 PM
So, youre a pro making $25 / hr? LOL

Anyway, back to your orignial question. Not paying your debt makes you a dead beat and will prevent you from getting another loan (car, house, credit card)..but its not going to stop you from visiting New York or anywhere else.

Theres no debtors prison here. You cant go to jail or anything like that for not paying a debt.

Eponymous
12-03-2006, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When Borat was here I taught him the phrase that you should tell them when they harass you and it is, "Go F yourself."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only poster in this thread that gets it. It's not a coincidence that the OP and Borat are both from Kazakhstan. He messing with you guys just like Sacha Baron Cohen did to the unsuspecting folks in his movie. Don't get all worked up.

Nicely done, though, OP.

SNOWBALL
12-03-2006, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYAD

SNOWBALL
12-03-2006, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, back to your orignial question. Not paying your debt makes you a dead beat and will prevent you from getting another loan (car, house, credit card)..but its not going to stop you from visiting New York or anywhere else.

Theres no debtors prison here. You cant go to jail or anything like that for not paying a debt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again. FYAD.

MiltonFriedman
12-03-2006, 01:36 PM
When I emigrated to this great country from Mother Russia, I did not have one dollar/kopek in my pocket. (I keep them hidden elsewhere, in a private bank .... somewhere on the Hershey Highway.)

Anyway, I soon dicover that this great country, America, has a FREE market system. This is great, but does not mean things are free I find out.

So I get an education, not unlike you, and become college professor, write many books about free market and get rich. I start to post here a lot, but last month I died at the age of 94.

Before that, many years ago, I sell my act to Yakov Smirnoff, who evidently sell it to Sasha Cohen, who sell or give it to you. Good, I do not want to see waste, which would be indicative of an ineffcient market allocation of tired old comic routines.

yes, you can visit US again, unless Citibank sell your debt to Vito's Collection Service or report you as terrorist or Democrat.

Have a goat,

Milton

alelitan
12-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I am from Georgia. It is the same as Kazakhstan to you, isn't it?

The rest of the story is true. And I am seriously interested how strict your government is if I don't pay money to Citibank for a while.

I think I will have to go to the bankruptcy lawyer. Nobody cares about people from Kazakhstan in this forum:-).

alelitan
12-03-2006, 03:05 PM
So, they are selling my loan to collection agency I think. I mean, I am sure they will do that as long as I don't pay. Can collection agency report me to immigration guys and prohibit me from visiting States?

MiltonFriedman
12-03-2006, 04:24 PM
"I am from Georgia. It is the same as Kazakhstan to you, isn't it?"

Well shoot, Cleetus, why didn't y'all say so ? You mean Georgia like Stalin's birthplace or Georgia like Home of the Braves ?

In either event I doubt that Vito's Collection Agency feels bound by the rulings of a bankruptcy court if they happen to get personal jurisdiciton over your carcass.

"The rest of the story is true."

Yes, Yakov, we know .... the bit was yours before Sasha hijacked it. The difference is that Borat is funny and your jokes don't even fly in Branson, Mo.

MiltonFriedman
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
When you get to NY, avoid Brighton Beach ... I hear that Citibank has contracted out there for collection work.

jlkrusty
12-03-2006, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, they are selling my loan to collection agency I think. I mean, I am sure they will do that as long as I don't pay. Can collection agency report me to immigration guys and prohibit me from visiting States?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you incur $50,000 worth of debt? Is this a student-loan debt?

alelitan
12-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Because I am smart.

Maybe not that funny for you. But I am working on that. yo!

alelitan
12-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Milton Friedman did not emigrate to US. He was born in NY.

frommagio
12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My name is Sandro. I am a citizen of Kazakhstan. I am a poker pro. I owe 50 thousand dollars to Citibank. I took that loan while doing Master's in University of Pennsylvania in great country of America.

So, I didn't pay interest on the loan back for couple months (I have interest only period now). This was cauze of some poker variance. Now they are calling me saying that I am gonna default and I am gonna be transfered to collection agency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cero, is that you again?

Kraize
12-03-2006, 08:36 PM
"So, youre a pro making $25 / hr? LOL"

Being a professional just means playing poker is your main source of income. You could be a "pro" and only make $1/h.

alelitan
12-03-2006, 11:49 PM
No, not Cero. Sandro. from Georgia. Or Sasha. From Russia.

MiltonFriedman
12-04-2006, 09:10 AM
... That is lie spread by Keynesian fellow traveler LouDobbs, who is opposed to immigration reform.

(Anyway, what's your point ? I already said I died last month at the age of 94.)

WaimanaloSlim
12-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I heard that you can post "hair from pubis" as collateral.

MiltonFriedman
12-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey, man ... you are not quite correct. For example, if you commit check fraud in Nevada, like bouncing a check used to pay a marker, then you have committed a crime AND you can be picked up at immigration for extradition to Nevada.

REALLY, man.

MiltonFriedman
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Soviet Union ???

What year is it presently ?

Robin Foolz
12-04-2006, 07:35 PM
alelitan,

since you have no intention of visiting the usa for another ~10yrs, just don't worry about it now. worry about it then. but my very educated guess says you will likely not have to deal with this issue ever again. you don't have a credit report in this country--no ssn or temp ssn means no credit report. no credit report means no collection agencies since citibank and collections cannot impact something that doesnt exist. stay strong and proud.

Robin Foolz
12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make less than this and am and have been a pro for over 3 years.

SneakyFerret
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
If I pay back my outstanding debt, may I place a camera in the ladies' toilet please?

why not?

The Worm
12-05-2006, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Being a professional just means playing poker is your main source of income. You could be a "pro" and only make $1/h.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most [censored] statement going. I got into an argument on another board about the same ridiculous statment. If someone is a High School drop out, living in his parents house playing poker 12 hours a day at micro limits grinding out $200 a week, that makes them a pro? I cook for a living, so Im a professional cook or chef? I dont think so. I will say this, its a very subjective topic, but my idea of pro would be someone that makes a substantial amount of money from poker, has had some television exposure, makes money off poker related matter ie books, merchandise etc,or they are ranked as a top player online or live. Not every schmuck that happens to be single living in his parents basement with no bills can be considered a professional, because "its his only source of income". That statement doesnt hold any water what so ever.

alelitan
12-05-2006, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make less than this and am and have been a pro for over 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

A professional is required to possess a large knowledge derived from extensive academic and practical training. Professional skills are important to the well-being of society ...

... In sports, a professional is someone who participates for money. The opposite is amateur, meaning a person that has not played for money, but usually through an academic setting (e.g. college football).

This is from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional

I don't care if I am professional by Wikipedia's (or any other) definition. For me most important is that I win. I am cool with that, call me amateur, semi-pro, one-quarter pro. I don't understand why anybody should care if he is "professional" or "amateur" as long as he or she wins.

SNOWBALL
12-05-2006, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the most [censored] statement going. I got into an argument on another board about the same ridiculous statment. If someone is a High School drop out, living in his parents house playing poker 12 hours a day at micro limits grinding out $200 a week, that makes them a pro? I cook for a living, so Im a professional cook or chef? I dont think so. I will say this, its a very subjective topic, but my idea of pro would be someone that makes a substantial amount of money from poker, has had some television exposure, makes money off poker related matter ie books, merchandise etc,or they are ranked as a top player online or live. Not every schmuck that happens to be single living in his parents basement with no bills can be considered a professional, because "its his only source of income". That statement doesnt hold any water what so ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible post, and a worthless subject to debate.

DuderinoAB
12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
alelitan,

I am from the beautiful country of Uzbekistan. [censored] Kazakstan...that's what I say.

alelitan
12-05-2006, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, man ... you are not quite correct. For example, if you commit check fraud in Nevada, like bouncing a check used to pay a marker, then you have committed a crime AND you can be picked up at immigration for extradition to Nevada.

REALLY, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and playing poker is also crime in Seattle. Too many restrictions in this country. No freedom whatsoever:-).

Eponymous
12-05-2006, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, if you cook for a living you are a professional cook. And being a pro player has nothing to do with television exposure or proceeds from books, etc., although many do have such exposure. If an artist makes enough money selling his paintings to put a roof over his head but his work isn't in any museums, he's still a professional artist.

What you are describing is a top pro. Professional != elite.

Bill Haywood
12-06-2006, 11:42 PM
All you poker players haven't seen through his bluff yet?

This is a hysterically long chain he's been yanking.

If he's from Kazackistan, I'm a pole dancer.

roueful
12-07-2006, 12:47 AM
What's the point of making a gimmick post if it's not funny?

permafrost
12-07-2006, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the point of making a gimmick post if it's not funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's very funny...oh wait...you probably mean funny as in humorous not queer...

NapoleonDolemite
12-07-2006, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All you poker players haven't seen through his bluff yet?

This is a hysterically long chain he's been yanking.

If he's from Kazackistan, I'm a pole dancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The legislation forum is very weak tight.