PDA

View Full Version : I Knew Then That I Could Play (question about 2nd hand)

Brocktoon
12-02-2006, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also heavily discounted a set as I did not think he would limp in under the gun with 33. 66 was a possibility but made less likely by the fact that I had a 6 in my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you would say that a solid player wouldn't limp UTG with 33 in a game where " a gaggle of players" cold call an EP raise from a solid player after a UTG limp. I also don't see how 66 is much different from 33 when you're UTG at a full table where cold calls are commonplace.

Maybe there are other things that you know about the particular way that this player plays his hands up front but as a reader it came off as though you were implying that a solid player wouldn't limp UTG with 33 because its a bad play.

Seems to me that 33 is exactly the sort of hand that one would/should be limping with at that table.

Aside from that minor issue I thought it was a very cool article with a lot of interesting hands.

creedofhubris
12-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I question whether it's ever wise to bet under the assumption that the other guy flopped a royal.

skp
12-06-2006, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you would say that a solid player wouldn't limp UTG with 33 in a game where " a gaggle of players" cold call an EP raise from a solid player after a UTG limp. I also don't see how 66 is much different from 33 when you're UTG at a full table where cold calls are commonplace.

Maybe there are other things that you know about the particular way that this player plays his hands up front but as a reader it came off as though you were implying that a solid player wouldn't limp UTG with 33 because its a bad play.

Seems to me that 33 is exactly the sort of hand that one would/should be limping with at that table.

[/ QUOTE ]

My read generally is that rightly or wrongly, the majority of good players don't play 33 upfront unless they are extremely confident that it will be multiway and hopefully with no raise (although a hand like 33 can probably stand a raise so long as it is multiway).

As for 66 vs. 33, there is a qualitative difference between the two hands. And again, my read on good players generally (although that read is up for debate) is that they draw the line at 66 (i.e there are several game textures where they don't play 55 upfront but play 66).

Having said all of that, as I say in the article, my read on that hand was not ironclad (unlike the hand where I had 77 and knew with certainty that I was up against AA/AK and KK/AK). Here, I bet the turn knowing that I might be raised. if so, I would have folded.