PDA

View Full Version : 100nl - AQ on a scary flop, allin on river

thac
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
This was not me, a friend gave me this hand, I'll post my thoughts on it later. Villain has been seen betting with AQ on K high board, rivering a Q and betting it for value, I'm guessing he's not that great of a player. How is our play on all streets?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($196.85)
UTG ($142.90)
Hero ($137)
Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($75.70)
SB ($98.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($9.50) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, Villain calls $7.

Turn: ($23.50) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, Villain calls $14.

River: ($51.50) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $50.7 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $102.20

Imrahil
12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I guess it's a fine fold since you're splitting with A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A9,AT,AQ and losing to AK,AJ,AA,KK,JJ,QT. The only hand that you're beating is two spades, and you're still splitting with Ax of spades. The only hand that you're beating is like 7s6s and he could easily have 8sxs.

jively
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
As played, I agree with the fold on the river.

However, maybe this is an opportunity to check the turn? Small pots for 1-pair hands?

-Tom

homeslice
12-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I think I call here, it looks like the villian is trying to steal the pot.

I'd check the turn though.

KinkyKid
12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's a fine fold since you're splitting with A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A9,AT,AQ and losing to AK,AJ,AA,KK,JJ,QT. The only hand that you're beating is two spades, and you're still splitting with Ax of spades. The only hand that you're beating is like 7s6s and he could easily have 8sxs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did see the note that this guy isn't very good right? So I think you're range is too small. We can probably include a fair amount of Kx among other hands. I like a blocking bet on the river, folding to a raise.

Imrahil
12-01-2006, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You did see the note that this guy isn't very good right? So I think you're range is too small. We can probably include a fair amount of Kx among other hands. I like a blocking bet on the river, folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, yeah I did miss that. I think I call then maybe. I dunno this is hard. I can imagine villain slowplaying KJ and pushing on the river once he knows that his two pair no g00t.

pdoran10
12-01-2006, 12:50 PM
blocking bet on the river. As played id need reads on the villan but i most likely call here on the river. He repped that he was drawing the whole hand and unless he had something like 98spades, this is at worst a chop.

jdefoe
12-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I check the turn and see what he does...I will probably call a reasonable bet since we just picked up a gutshot to the nuts. you said that this player was terrible...I don't really see whatelse he could be playing other than an oddly played JJ or QT, he would have raised there somewhere...

You bet before the flop, you bet the flop, you bet the turn, and you check to him on the river and he goes all in. I don't think this is a busted spade draw very much given the fact that you showed so much strength throughout..Maybe he holds the Ax of spades? but you said he was a bad player, so i'm not sure if he would do that or not

thac
12-01-2006, 01:31 PM
This hand is so intriguing because of the many things villain can hold. I'm still thinking of possible holdings that villain can have.

A timing tell that I was told after the hand was posted - he instacalled on flop and turn and then thought for a second or two before pushing river. If that helps.

GrandmaStabone
12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

However, maybe this is an opportunity to check the turn? Small pots for 1-pair hands?

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Can anyone elaborate on this concept and when it is most applicable?

thac
12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't do it on a board this coordinated, but it's usually used when you're either way ahead or way behind (AQ on a Q724 rainbow board, we'd check behind because villains only have 2-5 outs to improve if they're behind so we don't mind giving a free card and we lose less when they have a set.

jdefoe
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't do it on a board this coordinated, but it's usually used when you're either way ahead or way behind (AQ on a Q724 rainbow board, we'd check behind because villains only have 2-5 outs to improve if they're behind so we don't mind giving a free card and we lose less when they have a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but i still check turn here, because you may be beat already and you have the redraw to the nut straight...and you dont want to build a pot that you can't get away from.

AbreuTime
12-01-2006, 03:31 PM
This guy seems very aggro (based on the read, although stats would help). On river, the check will often induce a bluff. What was the check supposed to do OOP on river? Villain is pushing here were many hands that you are beating, and a lot of hands that are splitting. Facing a check-induced PSB against villain who makes thin river bets, I call.

And by the way, I sort of like a check on river OOP against these villains, because it allows him to bluff at whiffed draws. If you were in position, I would like a push on river when checked to.