PDA

View Full Version : NEED POST FLOP ADVICE

deehi
12-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Posted this on another forum, but I appreciate the guys here at 2p2 because I know that I will usually get a quality answer to this post.

Here is my background,I have been playing poker since July 05. In theory I should have graduated way beyond where I currently am. I am stuck at 10nl. Right now my roll is at a bit shy of 500 dollars. I have evaluated my game in PT and here is what I come up with:

I am losing the war of chips after the flop. Many of my opponents on different sites I believe are looking into my computer and see my hole cards. I play for the most part a TAG game. The grind for me is not showing ENOUGH progress. Aside for any stupid mistakes that I might make, the biggest problem for me is after those three little cards are sitting on the table. Here is an example of what burns me the most.

Hero( thats me if you didnt know,lol) has TT-77,AK-AJ,KQ and on the button or cutoff. Limpers everywhere. I bet 5xbb + 1/ limper and get 1-3 callers(we're talking Bodog, the"new" Party Poker). The flop comes J78 or Q35 or 449. Misses me by a mile. And usually if its heads up, the blinds or the first in the hand C bets the pot or overbets. Might be 1.25 in the pot and the first guy gets me with a 1.50-2 dollar freakin bet! How do i combat this? This here cost me the most money. I usually fold after this. Granted the flop likely missed him too, but, what do I do when a uberLAG donkfish does this?

I am open to all help and suggestions.

PS My PT stats are usually 20-25/17-22/.70-78 My AF is terrible. But how do I call or reraise someone wtih nothing?

Badger83
12-01-2006, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But how do I call or reraise someone wtih nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't.

Look to make a good hand post-flop, raising people with nothing at this level is suicide.

Gelford
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Full ring or 6max ??

deehi
12-01-2006, 09:55 AM
sorry, I am playing full ring

deehi
12-01-2006, 10:00 AM
I understand that you don't spew chips, but you say wait for a good hand. Meanwhile, EP bluff cbets me off hand after hand. Than when I hit, whose gonna pay me off?

Gelford
12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Yep, that is what I thought

And if you are playing FR you are imho opinion too loose, at least compared to how I play (or should I say played, I haven't been at a full ring texas hold'em table for ages) full ring.

Not to bang my own drum too much, but I made a post on how I play full ring a good while ago, I haven't reread it and it is a long time ago, when I was a far worse pokerplayer, but still .... many you can get some inspiration there.

My FR starting hands post from days gone by in SSNL (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=640669 4&Searchpage=1&Main=6406694&Words=Starting+Gelford &topic=&Search=true#Post6406694)

ama0330
12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
What sample size is this over?

Antinome
12-01-2006, 12:53 PM
G-
His problems have nothing to do with his starting hands. Frankly, I think he's probably playing too tight and predictably for late position FR.

If Laggy EP players can look at a flop and instantly suspect it didn't hit you then he's playing too tight. But if you are playing that tight, a donkbet is always a question- and that question is, "Are you playing AQ+ or are you playing TT+, 'cause I can beat AK...."

So in this case, you should answer, "Your low pair is no good" enough of the time that they will not want to steal fom you. If you are caught slowplaying QQ+, this will never, ever works, BTW.

Three ways to let them know that their pair is no good.

1. Minbet the flop.

I'll throw in a minbet here, if they are the sort that minbets monsters. People interpret bets as if they made them. Don't do this to someone who minbets draws on a drawy board, unless you want a push.

I know this isn't the 2+2 party line, but it works.

2. Float the flop.

This is a little advanced for 25NL, but it works. The more your opponent slowplays big hands, the more terifying he will find a flat call on a flop where he is weak.

This is a lot of fun, because you can win when he gives up, you hit, or when you reraise him.

Know when to give up.

3. Make a real raise.

This is a semibluff. You don't have nothing, you have an Ace with a big kicker. Besides, your opponent won't call most of the time anyway. Heck, you could have the best hand.

Don't overdo it.

Gelford
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
No actually I think startings hand might be his problem. Sure sure you can make money playing aggressive 'loose' (22 is not that loose, but still) poker.

But the thing is, by cutting down his number of starting hands, then he is also cutting down the number of marginal situations where he misses and has to face a cbet.

Further more, if like I do he always comes in with a raise, the pots will either be HU with him having the initiative or multiway, where he most likely will get paid big if he hits or just lay it down if he missed.

While Hero may feel like he is struggling postflop, I actually believe that much of this struggles comes from pf mistake that put him in too many marginal situations postflop.

Simple straight ABC uNL poker without anything fancy, but sure to make a profit.

Apart from making cbets, I advice against bluffing at uNL.

Once the ABC poker works and our Hero has logged around 50K's hands or preferably more as a winner (which can be done at uNL with out anything fancy), then we will talk about bluffs, semibluffs, floats and positional plays.

Further more giving someone who is struggling at uNL the advice to bluff more ... and especially to float is imo awful .... especially floating is one of the biggest spewers in uNL and really should be avoided.

Antinome
12-01-2006, 01:36 PM
G-

You may be right.

I honestly can't see how OP can't be winning with ABC poker at 25NL, it is too simple. He must be missing something fundamental. His stats seem tight enough to me, but the AF is sickeningly low. Hence, advice to be more aggressive, in position, with good hands.

The first time through 25NL I didn't semibluff at all aside from cbets. It was perfectly straightforward 7BB/100 play, low variance, gazillions of hands, mostly FR. It works. went from 150 to 3K playing 25NL and 25PL that way. My stats looked like his... except for the AF.

I gradually added semibluffing to my game and my winrate went up. I utterly disagree that properly executed semibluffs and floats are spew in uNL. Maybe not the first thing he should master, but they do fine for me at 25NL+.

jetsetboy
12-01-2006, 01:42 PM
OP could you post more informations please ? Like your vPIP/PFR/AGR by position ? Could you give us your sample size and vpip/pfr for the main hands (each pairs, ATs+, SCs) as well as your winning rate with these hands ? Could you give us your win with high card/one pair/two pairs/set/str8/flush and full hands ?

EMc
12-01-2006, 01:48 PM
op,

Poker is too situational dependant to have general advice work. You need to be posting hands rather than asking for general advice.

Gelford
12-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Semibluffing is ... semibluffing.

But floating is often a leak, and I rarely do it and never without a read.