PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia

urko888_
12-01-2006, 07:19 AM
One easy/painless way to strike back against the anti-poker powers that be is to edit the Wikipedia pages of key players of the Online Poker ban. Bill Frist, Jim Leach, etc.

Make sure to include sources for your statements, otherwise the Wiki editorial staff will edit our opinions out/down. After updating the pages of the above mentioned Frist and Leach I have had reinstate my edits multiple times after they were removed by others (a christian evangelical type in one instance).

Wiki is growing to be the most comprehensive of mankind out there. Let's make sure our voices/opinions are heard.

mshalen
12-01-2006, 08:51 AM
My students (I am a part time management prof at a local university) and my children don't understand why I tell them they can't use wikipedia as a reference when writing a paper. Hmmmm....

TheEngineer
12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I updated it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quanah Parker
12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My students (I am a part time management prof at a local university) and my children don't understand why I tell them they can't use wikipedia as a reference when writing a paper. Hmmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bias is present is all sources.
OP is simply putting forth a great idea on getting our side of the gambling bill read at a non-poker specific site.
Get out the facts.
Make as many people aware as possible.
Don't let the politicians behind the legislation get off the hook!!!

Sponger.
12-02-2006, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most useful wikipedia pages are cited from numerous sources.

ginko
12-02-2006, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because its too easy?

Grey
12-02-2006, 08:30 AM
There was a study done recently showing wikipedia to be more accurate than encyclopedia britannica.

Uglyowl
12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Feel free to put truth in there, just don't be a jerk about it.

Eric Stoner
12-02-2006, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I teach high school...it seems that they are not listening to me either that Wikipedia is not a good reference. They still insert it anyway thinking I won't read the paper...

So, I'm not surprised that you are seeing the same issues.

MelchyBeau
12-02-2006, 01:35 PM
When dealing with non-controversial issues/people Wikipedia is very accurate. I still use it when looking for starting points for research.

alelitan
12-02-2006, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Wiki is growing to be the most comprehensive of mankind out there. Let's make sure our voices/opinions are heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

snoopdawg
12-02-2006, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since the bill did not get unanimous consent and was not important enough to warrant Senate floor time, Frist sought to attach it to other bills. After failing to attach it to the Department of Defense authorization bill, he eventually attached it to the Safe Port Act in late September. It is worth noting that 80% of Americans are against this ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder who wrote that? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jah7_fsu1
12-03-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm a college student and almost all of my professors are against the use of Wikipedia for most information. As someone said though, a lot of articles on their have excellent sources for which they got their information. You just have to make sure you can sift through the crap. I don't use it much for any of the papers I write for classes except to look for sources where they got their information and then view those sources. Kinda a starting point as someone said.

Still, it's an excellent point it's something that could get seen by tons of people. Can't hurt!