PDA

View Full Version : einstein

siegfriedandroy
12-01-2006, 06:30 AM
what did he believe about god? i know he is said to have believed in god, but did he really? what do you all thinK/ i DONT care much, cuz im better at guitar than almost all of you, and better at poker and chess, but likely worse at philospohy cuz you are all so passionate despite your logical ineptitude, peace . anyway, what did einstein incapable of shopping at vons believe

CaseS87
12-01-2006, 06:31 AM
he did not believe in a personal god. as for the rest of your post... what?

madnak
12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Einstein saw divinity in the awesome elegance of nature. He did not extend that divinity to any personal God, but felt that nature itself was the best manifestation of "God."

Hopey
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Have you thought about AA? These drunken 5am posts are getting tiresome.

carlo
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what did he believe about god? i know he is said to have believed in god, but did he really? what do you all thinK/ i DONT care much, cuz im better at guitar than almost all of you, and better at poker and chess, but likely worse at philospohy cuz you are all so passionate despite your logical ineptitude, peace . anyway, what did einstein incapable of shopping at vons believe

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this recently.don't know where. Einstein received a letter from an Israeli Rabbi asking if he "beleived in God". His answer was something to the effect that he didn't "believe" in the vengeful God of the OT but saw the God that slumbers(immanence?) in the universe as God. He specifically stated he "believed" in the "God of Spinoza" who of course was "cast out" of the Amsterdam synagogue.

Didn't stop Israel from offering him the presidency. Think I read this on Wikipedia.

hmkpoker
12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
ban

luckyme
12-01-2006, 04:50 PM
From Wiki -
[ QUOTE ]
In The World As I See It he wrote:

You will hardly find one among the profounder sort of scientific minds without a peculiar religious feeling of his own. But it is different from the religion of the naive man.

For the latter God is a being from whose care one hopes to benefit and whose punishment one fears; a sublimation of a feeling similar to that of a child for its father, a being to whom one stands to some extent in a personal relation, however deeply it may be tinged with awe.

But the scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation. The future, to him, is every whit as necessary and determined as the past. There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair. His religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.[44]

In response to the telegrammed question of New York's Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein in 1929: "Do you believe in God? Stop. Answer paid 50 words." Einstein replied "I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

[/ QUOTE ]

carlo
12-01-2006, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From Wiki -

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In The World As I See It he wrote:

You will hardly find one among the profounder sort of scientific minds without a peculiar religious feeling of his own. But it is different from the religion of the naive man.

For the latter God is a being from whose care one hopes to benefit and whose punishment one fears; a sublimation of a feeling similar to that of a child for its father, a being to whom one stands to some extent in a personal relation, however deeply it may be tinged with awe.

But the scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation. The future, to him, is every whit as necessary and determined as the past. There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair. His religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.[44]

In response to the telegrammed question of New York's Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein in 1929: "Do you believe in God? Stop. Answer paid 50 words." Einstein replied "I believe in Spinoza's God, Who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

TY, Einsteins "wonder" and humility stands well IMO.