PDA

View Full Version : Article by gaming attorney discussing new law

permafrost
12-01-2006, 12:05 AM
He does an in depth analysis and has some good points about weaknesses and inconsistencies.

here (http://www.gamblinglawupdate.com/archives/Breaking%20Down%20the%20UIGEA.pdf)

Nate tha\\\' Great
12-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Interesting article. He basically concludes that the law as written is weak to the point of being unenforceable, and the substantive impact of the legislation is going to depend on the voluntary actions of foreign companies like Neteller.

TreyWilly
12-01-2006, 02:50 AM
I think this article should be used as a reference to anyone who wants to understand UIGEA in a nutshell.

It includes detailed background, breaks down the act itself and provides an industry -- although somewhat biased -- perspective.

Well done.

redbeard
12-01-2006, 03:56 AM
I think the item I found most interesting was the section on the Commerce Clause (pg 12) which he argued may very well nullify any state laws prohibiting internet gaming. So this would say that laws in states such as Washington, Illinois, Michigan, and Indiana (just to name a few) would not hold up if tested in federal court. Overall, a very good article and a nice paper to direct people to if they want a good overview of the entire situation with the UIGEA.

Mendacious
12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I am not sure if anyone has standing to contest the commerce clause issue. All of the sites are offshores-- and I don't know whether an entity from abroad can raise a commerce clause challenge.

Also, I found the lack of WTO discussion was a glaring ommission.

Other than that it is a superb analysis.