PDA

View Full Version : Low Limits, how important is position?

clownslayer2
11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I have been playing a lot of 10NL, and am trying to figure out if position is really that important. Many people try to limp pre flop, and what I have learned is that if you have a marginal hand on the button, raise. There seem to be a lot of callers after this happens, and if I throw any sort of continuation bet someone will always call down with mid-pair and then im cooked if I didnt hit. Just wondering if I could get some input on how to play position at 10NL. Thanks ya'll.

Gelford
11-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Sure, position always matters as you have seen villian act before you and so have a read.

You can't use position to run over the table at will if against calling stations by making advanced bluffs, but it still gives you an advantage enabling you to play more starting hands in position like suited connectors etc.

Don't bluff Ze Calling Stations

kaz2107
11-30-2006, 02:13 PM
position is tha nutz no matter wut limit u r playing

King Spew
11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I have to have a VERY good reason to enter a pot OOP.

Genz
11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
In the situation you describe: if you are IP and didn't hit, you can check the flop/turn to see more cards. You can use this to control the size of the pot. If you are OOP, you always have to act first and need to decide if you want to apply pressure. And even if you don't and just check, you can be faced with a bet by villain and then you have no idea if he is just betting, because you show weakness or if he has the goods.
The problem you have is more like finding the balance between value-betting and (semi)bluffing/c-betting. Bluffs (esp. when they are elaborate) don't work too well on these limits. But value-betting does.

Unknown Soldier
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing a lot of 10NL, and am trying to figure out if position is really that important. Many people try to limp pre flop, and what I have learned is that if you have a marginal hand on the button, raise. There seem to be a lot of callers after this happens, and if I throw any sort of continuation bet someone will always call down with mid-pair and then im cooked if I didnt hit. Just wondering if I could get some input on how to play position at 10NL. Thanks ya'll.

[/ QUOTE ]

is position important in poker? Nah over-rated..........
I'd strongly advise reading a beginners poker book (or any book that explains position) if you really dont think position is all that important.

The solution to your probelm of your bluffs being called down it actually very simple. Don't bluff! There. When I say don't I mean most of the time. Throw out the odd cbet on an un-coordinated board, they dont call with Q high (well most dont anyway). Adjust to the players. If the players are calling stations you just have to show down the best hand. There's nothing else you can do.

JNuey
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree that position is one of the most important things in NL. I think it depends if you are playing 5/6max or a full ring game. In NL10 I have found that playing in position in a full ring game your continuation bets work a little better because play is tighter, and people don't call you down NEARLY as often w/middle pair. Though your hand range should be alot wider in position, just don't get attached to your hand just because you PFR'd

JNuey
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
hey guys!

Phytopath
11-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Obviously position is important and it is more important with certain kind of hands rather than others. It allows you to control the size of the pot with hands that like small pots, it allows you to take some free cards etc...etc... It isn't just for bluffing people who check to you, I think this is what you are failing to grasp.

4_2_it
11-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Positional awareness is one of the things that separates the decent players from the very good players at uNL (and SSNL for that matter).