PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flop example - Am I justified here?

Crimsonjade
11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
As a new player, I have been trying to take a serious look at problems with my game. So on with the following example:

(Excuse the custom hand converting, I am doing something wrong with UB histories that the converters do not like).

Hand #37040929-10225 at St Johns (No Limit Hold'em)
Started at 29/Nov/06 21:03:01

Crimsonjade is at seat 0 with $7.04.
BullPlay is at seat 1 with $10.99.
Hotmud is at seat 2 with $10.
cleek is at seat 3 with $10.
civ2020 is at seat 4 with $15.39.
Bakedj is at seat 5 with $4.31.
The button is at seat 4.

Bakedj posts the small blind of $.05.
Crimsonjade posts the big blind of $.10.
cleek posts out of turn for $.10.
Hotmud posts out of turn for $.10.

Crimsonjade: http://pokerhand.org/images/diamK.gif http://pokerhand.org/images/diam8.gif
BullPlay: -- --
Hotmud: -- --
cleek: -- --
civ2020: -- --
Bakedj: -- --

Pre-flop:

BullPlay calls. Hotmud checks. cleek checks.
civ2020 folds. Bakedj calls.

<font color="red">Crimsonjade raises to $.50.</font> - I know right here my hand is mediocore, but with the amount of money in the pot already I figured I could take it down right here. In my mind, a call here is no good because this is not a good multi-way hand.

BullPlay folds. Hotmud folds. cleek folds.
<font color="red">Bakedj re-raises to $1.35. Crimsonjade calls.</font> - Here is where I question myself. Bakedj is playing a shortstack and, as a result, reraising pre-flop a lot. Still, this is a big raise and I put him on 1010-AA. If I raise I think he pushes with any of those and I do not want to make that call with my current hand. I figure if I call here I have position on him and, depending on the flop texture, I may get a better read from his bet.

Am I out of line here? My buddy said I played it fine, but I feel he is a little too results oriented.

Gelford
11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Either you belong in at least MSNL or ... sorry no offence, but ..... heh.

Between you and me, you sound like you do not have a good ABC game (or in fact any ABC game)

May I suggest reading some of the forum, post some more and if you can afford it, read Harrington on hold'em vol. 1 perhaps. It is a nitty book, but a nice place to start.

In this hand you have nothing and it all backwards. In a multiplayer pot your hand might have value, but HU in this spot with some many interested ?? ... if you get called you are most likely behind, and you might even be lucky to hit a king and go broke against a hand like KQ or similar (KJ, KT)

Let it go.

Welcome to the forums /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sir Winalot
11-30-2006, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I out of line here? My buddy said I played it fine, but I feel he is a little too results oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Just check behind preflop with this many other players in the pot and instafold after the reraise. I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this friend of yours. I don't like your play in this hand, at all.

ChipStorm
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
This is a blind-steal-raise-from-button hand, nothing more. Check and fold.

AliasMrJones
11-30-2006, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my mind, a call here is no good because this is not a good multi-way hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to call because there is no raise. Check and take a "free" flop with a mediocre hand. This hand actually has some multi-way value because it's sooted.

JNuey
11-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Yea this hand really couldn't be played worse. I agree this is a BB check and fold. Though I agree the SB's play is very fishy, K8s is not a hand to call a reraise, the farthest I would ever go w/this hand is calling a min raise PF and then seeing the texture of the board. Otherwise save this kind of hand for when you have better position.

Crimsonjade
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I will take them into account.