PDA

View Full Version : When big pair becomes middle pair - this normal way to play it?

Spartak
11-30-2006, 01:37 AM
SB seems like a tag.

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.5
3 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($4.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls.

River: 9/images/graemlins/club.gif ($12.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

CaseS87
11-30-2006, 01:42 AM
no, i bet this flop 100% of the time.

Spartak
11-30-2006, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, i bet this flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

but what for?

could be wrong but seems to me no better hands are folding the flop and no worse hands are calling and no real draws to protect against since the flop is pretty dry.

CaseS87
11-30-2006, 01:55 AM
essentially for information. honestly if a guy who isnt a calling station checks that flop behind and just calls on the turn, im firing the river ASSUMING that he has TT-QQ and will fold on the river.

checking just puts you in a really tough spot, and i like to keep my "tough spots" to a minimum.

also, when you're playing 3 handed, you cant assume that no worse hand is calling.

SpecT
11-30-2006, 02:26 AM
yeah i agree with case.
if you bet $4 with this flop, he calls, then he fires out on the turn like he did, u can confidently ditch the hand and uve lost $4 with an easy fold
if you check the turn, he checks behind, then fires out $4, you call coz u have no idea where ur at. he fires out on the river and u have no idea wat to do. u still lose the same amount, cept uve put urself in a marginal situation in the process

straightflush
11-30-2006, 03:08 AM
To answer your question, is this normal way to play it?

The default line is to cbet the flop. You don't have an awesome hand anymore and you want to take the pot down. The flop will miss the villain most of the time and he will fold.

[ QUOTE ]
could be wrong but seems to me no better hands are folding the flop and no worse hands are calling and no real draws to protect against since the flop is pretty dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worse hands are calling except straight draws or 77-JJ. This is ok though. You're hand is marginal and you want a fold.

lefty rosen
11-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Many cracked bankrolls are from people married to big pairs. Always bet there and try and assess where you stand on the turn. The last thing you need is to call a turn bet then a big river bet comes flying out from your opponent and you don't know what to do.

Sir Winalot
11-30-2006, 03:46 AM
I mix checking and betting here pretty often. I don't think this is an autobet because I don't like giving up my positional advantage.

Brian O'Nolan
11-30-2006, 04:12 AM
You should be cbetting this more often than you normally would a middle pair, considering you're 3 handed. But this is a pretty dry flop, so checking behind isn't so bad. If villain is decent, as you seem to think, I don't think he's calling pf with very many hands with a king. So you're in fairly good shape, even after villain leads pot on the turn. As a default, I like your line on the turn and river. What range do you put villain on after his river bet? There are definitely opponents against whom I think you should call the river. If his turn bet was a whiffed flop c/r, what hands is going to value bet on a 4 straight river board? For that matter, how many hands do you think villain is calling with pf that contain a 7? Against a thinking opponent, that river bet is either a straight or air. It seems more like air to me, but again as a default at this level it's probably best to interpret this as a value bet.