PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed I'm susceptible to stack-a-donk. Any advice?

Sean Fraley
11-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm playing the lowest of microlimits, and most of the time being tight-aggresive makes the money. When I sit and review some of my sessions, though, I begin to notice that I have a terrible weakness against stack-a-donk style strategies. Here's an example:

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.01/$0.02
8 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2.37
UTG+1: $3.32
MP1: $2.49
Hero: $5.80
CO: $5.65
Button: $1.40
SB: $1.65
BB: $5.77

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, 3 folds, 3 folds, BB checks.

I don't yet own PokerTracker, and haven't been at the table long enough to get any detailed reads on players I haven't encountered, I have notice that BB has only shown worthwhile hole cards at show down and plays tightly preflop. The limpers in front of me were relatively bad players whom I had seen in other games before, and I figured that 89o was worth limping from MP in a multiway pot, though I would have folded it to a raise.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($0.11, 5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $0.06</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

All right, nice flop for me with trip 8s. If figure that UTG+1 has probably paired the ten or is holding a lower pocket pair giving him two pair, so when the action gets to me I give it a decent size raise. When people check-call, such as BB does, I tend to assume one of the following: 2 overcards, a pair top pair or lower, or a straight or flush draw.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($0.71, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

On the turn, I put out another sizeable bet.

River: 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($2.21, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $1</font>, Hero calls.

This is where I should have become suspicious but didn't, and lost some cash.

Results:
Final pot: $4.21
BB showed Th 8c
Hero mucks 8h 9d

This happens to me on a regular basis when I get trips, sometimes when I get two pair on a ragged flop. While less frequent, it cost even more when I have a straight or flush and lose to a higher ranked of the same. Do I need to rein in a bit on how often I bet? Is this better controlled through making smaller bets in situations where there is the possibility of a much bigger hand out there? Am I wrong to come out swinging in situations like these?

CaseS87
11-29-2006, 09:40 PM
no, i think you played it perfectly. you're lucky BB sucks so much.

Hellmouth
11-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I may be wrong but this is the way I see it.

2pr +. I am getting my stack in. The fact that you were behind and lost less then your stack is lucky (villian sucks and didn't punish you here).

Worrying about playing trips strong is results oriented. You are ahead much more often than you are behind.

Greg