PDA

View Full Version : Some q's for a beginner on NL25. Re: maximising value on big hands

michaelantoi
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
If i'm headsup with another player and I flop a set/2pair/big hand I bet.

If i'm headsup, and I raised PF, I cbet the flop.

So I bet wether I have a hand or not.

This is the information I have gathered from these forums and this is what I mostly do (with some variation).

I find that I dont get as much value as I could be getting. This mostly occurs on very tight tables (I find there are a lot of these on UB).

Even on a tight table should I bet pot or 1/2 pot with a big hand?
On some tables that I play, I rarely get the chance to maximise my big hands because the players are so tight.

Should I change my style and, say for example, check the flop if I hit a set on a dry board? Min-bet? Or should I stick to my normal game?

Should I NEVER slow play a set in a multiway pot even on a dry board?

Should I mix up my play and cbet less so that when I hit my set (or a monster) and I check, it's not too obvious I have a monster?

I find that I dont maximise my value enough when I hita big hand on a dry board by always betting out on the flop.

avfletch
11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
If the table is playing really tight don't start betting less, start betting more!

Rather than losing value on your big hands and giving your opponents free cards to out draw you keep betting those but start betting with less premium holdings too.

A simplistic example -

Its folded to you on the button and you know the blinds are really tight players. This doesn't mean you should be limping AA or making smaller raises with it. It means you should be stealing the blinds with nearly any two cards.

michaelantoi
11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for your response.

Ok, I understand your POV there. I already do this on a lot of tight tables, however, I try not to steal blinds too much. This is because players become frustrated at times and start to play back and protect their blind.

I mix it up, and find small pots are very easy to pick up on tighter tables. Should I just be content with being able to pick up smaller pots on these tables?

avfletch
11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Players will start to become frustrated and protect their blinds but until they do its easy money. Also, most players adjust horrifically and you'll see a massive shift in their play. When it happens just adapt again. If they start always calling your button raises just sit back and wait for a big hand and punish them with it.

You pretty much have to be content with small pots on tight tables. By definition these players are not getting lots of money in without a decent holding. Take advantage of it by stealing pots all over the place and getting out of the way when they finally do wake up.

I_HATE_TIHSKID
11-29-2006, 07:05 PM
If your tables are too tight at NL25, filled with nits, you should probaly change table. While these table can be profitable with aggressive play, there is much better tables out there.

I con. bet every time heads up after a preflop raise. I would only change this play if I play against a very, very loose player who is calling down with hands like Q-high and I hold a hopeless hand like 4-high, no draw or such.

Every time I see a very aggressive player who normally con. bet after every preflop raise, check the flop, alarm bells go off. This is very often a very big hand, and if people are a little aware of the game, they will surely notice this, and your game starts to be predictable.

I never slowplay a set on the lower limits I'm playing at the moment (25-100). I find that many very loose, bad players will limp with hands like A10-AK, and then call bets on the flop trying to catch a pair.

The method to win at there limits is: Value bet. When you have a good hand, 2 pair+, bet virtually every time.

Also, if you slowplay, you fail to the build the pot. If you call the from the SB with 22 and 5 people take the flop, you flop a set of 2's on a 2-6-10 flop, you need to bet. People might call hands as weak as 6-5 hoping to catch another pair, however the most likely don't bet themselves.

If don't build the pot on the flop/turn, it gets very hard to stack even bad players, because your river bets will be huge overbets.

Sure I sucks to flop at set, bet 3/4 of the pot, and see everybody fold. Maybe you could have picked of a few $'s by checking and letting someone catch a second best hand, but by building the pot, you are maximizing you EV imo.

kaz2107
11-29-2006, 07:05 PM
if ur tables r that tight as u describe the best avice i can give u is practice better table selection or if that is as good at it gets at 25nl then switch [censored] sites. 25nl should b filled with donks EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

im guessing u r just running crappy tho and after u play more hands u will get payed off a ton more

michaelantoi
11-29-2006, 07:10 PM
After taking a look at FTP, it looks like there are literally 3 times as many full tables at UB.

Considering a move now.

What is the most popular site out there? It used to be party didn't it?

Leviathan101
11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
it's probably full tilt or pokerstars now.

Gelford
11-30-2006, 02:36 AM
It sounds like you are fairly nitty yourself, not willing to put in any money without having solid value behind. So you have choices.

1. Accept this ... setmine some more. You will not stack everytime you have a bighand, but you will make a profit, and that is not that bad.

2. Just start betting full pot or close to it everytime on flop, cbet or valuebet, betting small in order to get action is a misunderstanding. Build pots.

3. Never openlimp and use position

4. Learn when to 3bet.

5. Switch to 6max (it sound like you play full ring)

1. is safe safe safe mommy mommy mommy. But it is good and earns a profit.

2.-5. Are more risky and will in the beginning lead to spewing. You sound already uncomfortable with the idea of annoyed blinds playing back at you.

But so is poker, first you struggle, then you become a nit ... then you spew ... then you return to nit .... etc. etc. ... each time getting slightly more skill.

Don't go too much out of your comfort zone, but feel free to try and push yourself once in a while.

Also, pay attention to what opponents showdown ... read read read ... and read some more.