PDA

View Full Version : Massive overbets on the flop

AmonRaa
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
I get ppl who overbet the pot on the river, they are either completely bluffing or they have a monster and want to extract the max. However I cant seem to grasp the concept of massive overbets on the flop. What are they telling me? Do they want me to just go away or they have a monster - but why overbet so much to loose all your customers?

Hand that happened a few min ago.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($9.25)
BB ($1.90)
UTG ($1.75)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($10.80)</font>
MP1 ($1.75)
MP2 ($18.80)
MP3 ($10.25)
CO ($9)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($10.55)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.

I allways reraise with AK and I have a button. Dont like his reraise - i believe he has pocket pair, not sure how strong though.

Flop: ($4.25) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $8.55</font>, Hero calls $10.55 (All-In).

Not a bad flop. I'm ready to go to call mode as I dont think I can fold it and I want to extract sth from his pocket. He ruins this little plan of mine by going all in.
I have seen this move before and it never made sense. If he has set why on earth would he want to chase my away? But the problem I often encounter is that I process the hand in a way I would play it/the logical way and not how villain would play it - I allways presume I'm playing with a logicall beeing and that sometimes presents itself as a mistake. In a hand at question it just didnt make sense to me to do that with a set or even AQ (plus I dont believe AQ would play like that pf). I though that must be frustrated kings so I called.

Any thoughts on this specific hand or general overbetting on flop?

Unknown Soldier
11-29-2006, 12:50 PM
he could be a LAG any reads? in which case he can do this sort of think with AT. This is a call here. QQ/AQ/AA dont play the flop like this.

ImprovinNewbie
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
i dont over bet without the nits really... but if you have a player who is willing to call big, BIG bets with marginal holdings like TPTK as you did i would make redonculous bets at any point to get all the money in the middle witha strong hand. you are playing 10NL so i see QQ, 22, AA (less likely because you have one A) AQ and A2 making this bet more than kings... you are behind to queens and i dont see jacks playing like this at all... i fold here without a read that villian is tiliting and or is a really bad players... 85.5 BB is 85.5 big bets no matter what and shoving it all in the middle means a real hand more than not....

Phytopath
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah you need a read to make this call.

He could be scared with the flush draw and have a set/2-pair. He could have the same hand as you. He could have suited Ax for TP nut flush draw, he could have alot of things alot of which you are behind.

I would fold.

BukNaked36
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
One of two things:
1. draw - nut flush, or combo draw, say T/images/graemlins/club.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gif would be common here
2. An overprotective set or AQ

The fun is in figuring out which it is.

Most of the time I'm thinking draw and calling.