PDA

View Full Version : My firstish post in micro

stokken
11-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I anticipate the microplayers to be broadly divided in two groups, those who have recently started and those who has some if not much pokerexperience-and have taken a turn towards a more serious approach-especially regarding Br managment-and with a determination to take the lessons warranted and rewarded for each step up the ladder.( By no means do I believe that the recently started are less serious)

I have until recently been a Mtt junkie. I have played abit of different stakes Nl cash game short and full up to 5/10. Usually overconfident after some decent mtt score, underolled,incomplete as a player given the stake, and without exception ending with the same result-thrashed, given enough time.

I have decided to walk the ladder, starting at 50nl 6 max

Reading trough lots of posts here I would like feedback on some random thoughts.

Learn and unlear (regarding the general competition at microlevel-alot of advice in books and onliners taken out of its context can cause much trouble if not thought about and learned in its right environment.

Thight agressive-typical misconseption leads to overplaying

Loose agressive-typical misconseption leads to spewing and a to high frequency of bluffing

Implied odds-typical misconseption-lots of maths regarding how often a given hand can improve in relation to betsize, predicted betsizes of streets to come and stacksizes. With little thougt about wheras the opponent will actually commit to your hopes of stacking.

++many more

In short- situational- poker is what one should strive for.
Use the time you are allowed. I dont mean timeout every hand,but you have a few seconds to choose your action-it is valuable time. We seek a profitable play, it cant and doesnt have to be right all the time, just more often then not. Then you`ll see with improving vision when 6,7s is raisable utg, when you can call a raise from the rock in what position. Against whom 7,2 can win a hand often enough, when you should bail. When A,3os is ok in the sb. Whom you can and cant take off 1 pair. When you can call large bets with weak hands, on which street. At what level the opponents concludes their logic

It does not take much really-and alot of players at these levels drive at the same speed until they crash-this is the difference in bb/100

Be fluid with the cards, the dynamics, flow if you will, accomodate and ship it home. Go trough your sessions

Keep it simple, with thought most things are.

Stokken

munkey
11-29-2006, 11:10 AM
It depends...

But I like to keep it simple.

I agree many noob uNL players are looking for cookie cutter answers so to speak and often post hands without reads /image/stats/recent history and other situational information. Reminds me of HOH1 early chapter about hand discussions.

When I learnt to adapt my game to the NOW I became a much better player and when I neglect it I often do meh/poorly, However I think you have to learn the blanket generalisations first e.g. fold 1pair to a raise (and why they exist) before you can break the 'rules' so to speak as these generalisations are correct probably the majority of the time and save a beginners stack many a time -I know it did/does mine.

Gelford
11-29-2006, 11:14 AM
No offence, but I am growing tried big philosophical/psychological post giving advice on how to learn the game.

Stating poker is situational without giving any examples of interest does not go well with me. If you have discovered something interesting, please by all means share, but blanket statements ... meh

but that is just my 0,02$

stokken
11-29-2006, 11:31 AM
I see that the post can come foreward as advice, and it was not the intention really. I wanted discussion, feedback and "extras" on my bold blurts. The keep it simple and act/react part was in light of many posts almost asking how do I play poker instead of examining wether the thoughtprocess leading up to a difficult decission is a good/bad one. I wont and didnt claim to have any kind of universal wisdom to share.

Stokken

Gelford
11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
No problem, Im playing again, but I'll drop by later /images/graemlins/smile.gif