PDA

View Full Version : JJ UTG vs. the dreaded double check raise...

egocidal
11-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Moving from SS limit to NL, starting at the micros. Bet sizes ok? No reads on player, but when he reraised PF I knew I was in trouble. Don't know what I was doing betting flop and not checking behind, right? What do I do if he calls and turn bricks? As it is, the double checkraise has me convinced I'm beat, I'm pretty sure I was throwing money away on flop.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero raises to $0.4, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, BB raises to $1, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.45, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB raises to $3.2, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $2.2 returned to BB.

Results:
Final pot: $4.45

DeuceSeven
11-29-2006, 02:25 AM
I think I would have checked the flop, if I have no reads. The problem is villain could be like me and almost always reraises with TT+, AK, and sometimes reraises with 88,99, AQ. Or this could be some donk with nothing. Or this could be a tight player that only does this with QQ+, AK. The best line I think would have been to play for a small pot, check the flop, see what happens on the turn.

Dastone
11-29-2006, 04:04 AM
This is strange line indeed. His reraise is kinda smallish. Which may indicate that he wants action, or maybe doesn't really know what he is doing. Based on his position, and the action in front of him, this play looks like a pretty strong hand.

Since he has decided to check raise the flop, it indicates to me that he has some sort of clue since he is attempting to be sneaky. This is also the kind of board that would look fairly safe to a pfr, and one that would likely warrant a c-bet. Villain elects to give a possible free card, but also the chance for us to take the lead. Danger. If I had to put villain on one specific hand I would say a set of Q's is at the forefront. Needless to say, there are many others he can hold as well that are way ahead of our Jacks, and a big flush draw is the only hand I think we may be ahead of here, and even than we are in a coinflip. This hand is all bad, and I think folding is the right move.

As for bet sizing. A dollar is a bit too small on the flop, and will occassionally induce people to play back. Two bucks would be more appropriate here.

Edit: The more I think about it something between 1.50 and 2.00 sounds better.

Gravy
11-29-2006, 04:09 AM
Stacks are important but yeah, default here is to check behind on the flop.

HitNRunPoster
11-29-2006, 04:14 AM
lol you only got checkraised once.

I like the bet size.

egocidal
11-29-2006, 04:51 AM
Dammit I misread. Yea he's BB, whatever. Kinda changes things, but for the most part hes still got a better hand then me here. I suck /images/graemlins/smile.gif