PDA

View Full Version : 50NL - great spot for a massive overbet, right?

Mossberg
11-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Preflop was a misclick so try to ignore that. I think I should have raised more on the turn, but I'm still new and making lots of small mistakes, particularly in regards to bet and raise size. Anyways, is the river push good or what?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
4 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
Hero: $58.75
Button: $28.55
SB: $130.95
BB: $47.40

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($2.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($3.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls.

River: K/images/graemlins/club.gif ($9.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $54.25</font>, SB calls.

Results:
Final pot: $118

Oranzith
11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
raise flop
raise turn more
AI on river with a decent pot

if he folds somewhere along the line, oh well.

sparker
11-29-2006, 12:56 AM
that is a hyper overbet but id say he calls frequently enough to make it good

jonyy6788
11-29-2006, 12:59 AM
I think that is fine, he calls with flush or ace thinking you're a dumb idiot with a straight. If you think you should be raising more on the turn you should raise the [censored] outta the flop. Make em pay if they got a flush draw or &lt;Q10

poincaraux
11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
People call with draws on the flop. Why are you keeping the pot small?

Mossberg
11-29-2006, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that is fine, he calls with flush or ace thinking you're a dumb idiot with a straight. If you think you should be raising more on the turn you should raise the [censored] outta the flop. Make em pay if they got a flush draw or &lt;Q10

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm just having a hard time teaching myself that I can't slowplay everything. So far I like NL alot but I find it very frusterating when I only take down a small pot with a big hand.. I end up being pissed off for the next hour afterwards, mad at myself for not playing it differently in a way which would induce more action.

For future reference, about how much should I be raising him on the flop here? Given that I just called the flop, how much should I have popped the turn for?

Thanks for the help guys.

Oranzith
11-29-2006, 01:06 AM
I raise to 5 on the flop. if he leaves you werent getting action anyways.

limit refugee
11-29-2006, 01:12 AM
PSB is 3x bet plus previous pot, $4.

As played, so many gosh darn many draws, i'd even bet a tad over PSB, this is a spot where lots of worse hands call.

Those little pots where they fold to you add up, enjoy the small pots. If it helps, just imagine the river card they would have sucked out if you let them draw.

Oranzith
11-29-2006, 01:15 AM
not sure if that was directed at me limit, but im aware 4 was the PSB, and was overbetting just as you mentioned a second later.

sparker
11-29-2006, 01:17 AM
raise that minbet on the flop to like 7.5

ImprovinNewbie
11-29-2006, 01:18 AM
all in with the NUTS is a +EV call for the times its calls as opposed to the times you lose what you could have gained by making a smaller bet if Villian folds. a lot of hands could have been made that are calling or having a tough time folding as you played it. dont worry about the royal flsuh too much or the T9 of clubs... if you got F'd here don't fault your play....

ImprovinNewbie
11-29-2006, 01:21 AM
very nice issue posted in hand.... good post even though normally i hate the "i have near nuts what do i do with it" post

limit refugee
11-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Oranzith...no thing...wasn't trying to insult you...i was answering mossbergs question right above you. He asked how big a usual raise should be.

I'm a little slow, your answer wasn't posted there when i started replying.

Mossberg
11-29-2006, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
all in with the NUTS is a +EV call for the times its calls as opposed to the times you lose what you could have gained by making a smaller bet if Villian folds. a lot of hands could have been made that are calling or having a tough time folding as you played it. dont worry about the royal flsuh too much or the T9 of clubs... if you got F'd here don't fault your play....

[/ QUOTE ]\

Actually the results were exactly as desired. He had Ax of course.

MrMysterious
11-29-2006, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I find it very frusterating when I only take down a small pot with a big hand.. I end up being pissed off for the next hour afterwards,

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, we all get that way when we flop a monster.
heres a couple things to think about though

1)as another poster said, if hes folding the flop, he ain't giving you action later on anyways

2) there is a 2 flush on the board, how do you intend to play this hand if its 3 to a flush on the turn? when you slowplay a hand, you give your opponent a chance to outdraw you, and typically you get stacked bcs they are betting big, just like you want them to. Also, if he doesn't have a flush, then when that flush draw comes in it will kill any action you might have had.

3)I find that i never get big pots until i continuation bet the hell outta these guys. eventually they get fed up with me always open raising, and betting about every flop they miss. they get upset, and end up taking a marginal hand too far.

if you were stealing all those little pots along the way, the villain, with maybe 88 might pay off big on this flop, thinking there is no way you hits trips "again" and that your trying to steal it.

btw, congrats on the big pot