PDA

View Full Version : $10 NLHE 6Max - AK vs shortstack

Frosteater
11-28-2006, 03:16 PM
I think there's a pretty standard play for this hand. I just don't know if I made it.
Absolutely no reads, this was my second hand on that table.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($8.10)
Frosteater ($9.90)
UTG ($7.10)
MP ($7.10)
CO ($1.75)
Button ($4.50)

Preflop: Frosteater is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.45, <font color="#CC3333">Frosteater raises to $1.75</font>, UTG folds, CO calls $1.25 (All-In), SB calls $1.25.
<font color="blue">The re-raise here was probably way over the top and I wouldn't have played it that way under different circumstances. The problem was the aggression from the shortstack. I was expecting the shortstack to lead the flop regardless of which cards would come and I'd be in a tough spot if I missed, especially in the multiway pot I expected to get in if I didn't take countermeasurements. On the other hand, a simple raise wouldn't result in a much different scenario since the shortstack would be basically pot-commited after calling my raise, so I wouldn't really know where I stand.
That said, maybe folding pre-flop would have been the best decision, since I had absolutely no range I could put my opponent on (besides my standard 1010+ / AQ+ assumption).
I actually thought about folding until my "You really try to push me off the button while I have a strong hand? Good luck, you'll need it!" attitude got the upper hand.
In retrospect, I should have considered the fact that I wasn't even on the button. I know, it was pathetic, I don't have a clue what I was thinking. I still would have pushed, if I knew what I was doing, tho, since I expected the SB to fold facing that much aggression. </font>

Flop: ($5.35) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Frosteater bets $6.35</font>, SB folds.
<font color="blue">I assume that was a really terrible play on my part. At that moment I lost every respect for money and just wanted to instill fear in my opponent. I guess I got away with that since I represented a really strong hand pre-flop. Besides, I don't raise to 17.5 BB pre-flop just to sit quietly on the flop and wait for the things to come.</font>

Final Pot: $5.35

Though this hand didn't give much room for decisions (I think, folding and pushing were the only options), the overall situation really bugs me. I had the choice between folding a strong hand on the button (at least I thought so) and letting lady luck decide who'd win.
I thought a lot about this hand, since it seemed to me like a loose-loose decision (and my opponent decided to disagree with my play more or less polite - every form of criticism is welcome), so I'd really appreciate some opinions.

And feel free to laugh at me for the button fiasco. I'm doing the same right now.