PDA

View Full Version : Taking Time to Act?

Murd0c
11-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I was thinking when is it most imortant to take time before choosing an action for a hand?

Preflop:
-In the BB, or SB
-Making a reraise
-Calling

Post-Flop
-Betting after the flop
-Calling after the flop
-Folding after a failed bluff

When doesn't it really matter?

Preflop:
-Raising (not reraising)
-Completing in SB after limpers

Post-Flop:
-Folding in an unraised pot

I think when it matters, taking around 5 to 10 seconds should generally eliminate timing tells.

Thoughts?

Frosteater
11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I guess it's most important when it's necessary.
I like to be quick with pre-flop raises and c-bets, but that's mostly because these are standard plays in my book.
When a tough decision is to be made, I rather take my time to think about it instead of worrying about giving time tells. The way I see it there are too many possible reasons for you to need more time. Your table could put you on multitabling, a lousy connection, browsing the web, playing one-handed, etc.
I guess the most likely "tell" to give here is that you're a player who takes the time to think about his moves and I don't know if that's not even an image that might be benefical to you.

jk1986
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I dont usually bother with all this

just make sure you always pause for a sec before you act, not so much for timing tells, but more so that you're sure that you're thinking the hand through properly.

Of course occasionally you have to let the timer run down a bit to lend your hand some credibility when the bluff's gone horribly wrong

SnappyJoe
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I usually play a lot of tables at the same time so I don't bother with it really. And I don't look for tells in peoples reaction times for the reasons mentioned before. Sucky internet, multitabling, browsing the internet etc.

ChipStorm
11-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Things that matter at uNL:

1. something
2. something else

. . .

38754729. Timing tells

. . .

kaz2107
11-28-2006, 02:39 PM
timing tells ae retarted in online micro NL. dont even worry about it. play ur hand as best as possible. when u kno wut u wanna do, then do it. u get more hands per hour thus more money per hour.

the only time i EVER take more then i need is if i think me slowing down will make the doneky call my value bet way more/fold to my bluff way more. never because im scared of tells.

ImprovinNewbie
11-28-2006, 02:43 PM
i dont think in micro the meta game is too heavy as to have to eliminate tells like that. any time you dont know what to do, take time. post flop take some time. dont rush to conlcusions. thats more important that not giving off tells in the 10nl -50 nl range... even though i do look to see if frequently a person will wait with a big hand, or bet fast with a big hand etc....

AliasMrJones
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. something
2. something else

. . .

38754729. Timing tells

. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

If you totally forget timing tells and worked on postflop/hand reading skillz you'd be a much better player much sooner.

EMc
11-28-2006, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. something
2. something else

. . .

38754729. Timing tells

. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

munkey