PDA

View Full Version : the bleak eternity that the godless face

Big Bend
11-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I was reading this article (http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10680), whose author mainains there must be a creator, that athiest scientists are the real idiots.. has buncha scripture quoting crap to back his arguments. But it closes saying "the bleak eternity that the godless face" as if thats another reason to believe in god.

Ok so I'm an athiest, and yes I suppose its all pretty bleak if you want to look at it that way, what with no everlasting life in a glorious brothel in the sky to look forward to. But I'd rather deal with the facts and face whatever future lies ahead, than believe in some wishful thinking fantasy about god and jesus and allah and all the other lords i'm supposed to worship.

So, how do you athiests feel about the bleak future we face?

ttfn, BB

madnak
11-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Well, it beats hell.

chezlaw
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was reading this article (http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10680), whose author mainains there must be a creator, that athiest scientists are the real idiots.. has buncha scripture quoting crap to back his arguments. But it closes saying "the bleak eternity that the godless face" as if thats another reason to believe in god.

Ok so I'm an athiest, and yes I suppose its all pretty bleak if you want to look at it that way, what with no everlasting life in a glorious brothel in the sky to look forward to. But I'd rather deal with the facts and face whatever future lies ahead, than believe in some wishful thinking fantasy about god and jesus and allah and all the other lords i'm supposed to worship.

ttfn, BB

[/ QUOTE ]
We have no likelyhood of more bleakness in our future than a theists (whether or not god exists).

chez

revots33
11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you cease to exist words like bleak are meaningless. Once you're dead you can't wish you were in heaven.

cambraceres
11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
The religious clown you are speaking of is of no more value or use then the next, but here's the deal with our bleak future.

His point does in a way have merit. For a religous fanatic, thinking of life in terms of one's beleif system is a gratifying, rich, justifying experience. There are boundless possibilities for cognitive reverie. One can dream about how it will be when we all live together, in our heavenly home. Atheists forfeit this ability. We must think of things in a rationally validated and logically ordered way, or else we are simply musing.

This is what we miss, childlike games with our own minds, because we refuse to accept a heavenly host as the reason for our existence and the seminal cause for the life that we see and feel, and know. We look at base realities, while the mentally sympathetic theocrat sees possibility, not existence.

Ciao

Cam

Matt R.
11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi,
I'm not an atheist, but I agree with Chez. Your future will be the same regardless of whether you classify yourself as a theist, deist, agnostic, atheist, whatever.

Just live life to the best of your abilities. Do your best to treat others well. Try to be understanding of the author's beliefs, even if he appears to be missing the greater point. Do these things, and it doesn't really matter what future you face.

evank15
11-29-2006, 04:44 AM
"The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look Death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

-Sagan