PDA

View Full Version : What conditions do you play in?

Redskins5326
11-26-2006, 07:22 PM
This isnt exactly off topic but it's kinda random so I decided this would probably be the best place to put it.
What conditions do you guys play online poker in? For example I usually play in a dark room with a fan going, while some of my freinds play with music blaring the tv on and all the lights in their house on.

Dementia
11-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Meh I reckon this ought to be moved, but not sure where to.

Abones
11-26-2006, 07:29 PM
internet forum?

econophile
11-26-2006, 07:41 PM
level five hurricanes
economic depressions
ethnic cleansing
global warming
chronic performance anxiety
acute anomie
dissociative herpatology disorder
mild vomitting
chair conformation of cyclohexane
disequilibrium and steady state
sensory deprivation

Mike Haven
11-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Now that this has arrived in the Zoo, please let us know what the point of your question is in order that we may give you appropriate responses.

Thanks.

Redskins5326
11-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I just wanted to know in what environment you guys play in, and do you feel it effects your play? As for myself I play in a rather dark room with a fan running.

Mike Haven
11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you.

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a rather dark room with a fan running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this affects your play, and, if so, how?

Anduril66
11-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I usually play in a cold, dark room because it is winter in Canada now, and I'm too cheap to pay for electricity. I usually prefer to play while eating or listening to music because it helps me focus on the poker table instead of watching Youtube or browsing the Internet.

Redskins5326
11-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes I think it does effect my play. The fan sort of keeps me attentive and awake, and when its dark, the only source of light is my monitor (what i want to focus on)

Mike Haven
11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Have you tried playing with music blaring, the tv on, and all the lights in the house on? How does this affect your play?

Redskins5326
11-26-2006, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried playing with music blaring, the tv on, and all the lights in the house on? How does this affect your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it seems to be distracting, however some of my freinds find it necessary to have background noise in order for them to concentrate. However I did find that I tightened my game up a little bit which is good in my opinion.

Mike Haven
11-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I think I'm starting to understand where you're coming from. (I'm a little slow - forgive me!)

You're suggesting that people might play in different environments, and may have different "needs" while they're playing?

Redskins5326
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
nailed it on the head

MarkGreb
11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Abject poverty.

Mike Haven
11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
That, (mine), was really a rhetorical question.

It, (your question), reminded me of a friend I worked with a few years ago when we were killing turkeys for Christmas.

She would be crying as she pulled their necks and preferred to weep alone in silence.

I guess I felt I had to act the "macho-man" and sing and laugh, particularly if I pulled too hard and the head came off.

Really, though, I was as traumatised as anyone would be in those circumstances.

I couldn't eat turkey until Christmas day. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Slim Pickens
11-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Mid 20's, light snow. Wind: SSW at 10 knotts. I usually choose to defend the east end as the stands tend to shield 4th quarter field goals from the cross-breeze.

Sniper
11-26-2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~ruralhis/images/killingTurkey.jpg

blackjack777
11-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Dark room, one TV going with a game on it, or sometimes a DVD.

gotta focus

Mike Haven
11-27-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~ruralhis/images/killingTurkey.jpg

Wow! What an extraordinary find, Sniper!

That could have been my Grandfather, or even my Father, teaching his children the intricacies of beheading turkeys, painlessly.

Well, painlessly unless you chopped your thumb off by mistake, of course. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Did you know that's where the famous expression came from, that has now crept into mainstream, if somewhat slang, English?

When turkey-farmers were looking for the best and most accurate turkey-killers out of the groups that travelled the countryside, looking for the seasonal work, they used to say, "Thumbs up, guys!"

The ones who had been less than accurate with their axes, like the one in the photo, obviously wouldn't get the plum jobs.

RainDog
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
I play in dark cold conditions with a blanky wrapped around me and a cup of hot cocoa. Cold keeps me alert. Appropriate music is also a must. I like bluesy singer/songwriter type stuff to play poker to.

Of course, this is when I'm trying to be on my A game. I can't get in enough hours with full concentration.

So sometimes I have on some television series on dvd (movies are too involving), browse OOT or BBV, or listen to Spanish cds to work on my language skills. I may drink a beer or two to relax (But only two). All of this seems to lose me circa 1-1.5BB/hr but it's worth it to get hours in that I otherwise wouldn't.

And I think this is a legitate question. One can be curious about others' playing atmosphere while, at the same time, realizing "different strokes for different folks". Is this so out of place in the zoo? In any event, the condescending attitude was not appropriate from an op.

derosnec
11-27-2006, 12:47 PM
i have a disco ball and 2 strobe lights in my room. some disco music and im ready to multitable all night long

LionelHutz00
11-27-2006, 01:52 PM
abject squalor

RGL
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I sit in a well lit room and listen to music with earphones. My stepson sets at a desk with a stack of poker chips that he ruffles as he plays. He says it helps him focus and "keeps him at the table" rather than playing a video game.

Jehaim
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I need French/Spanish (web)radio on my earphones, otherwise I get distracted if the DJ starts babbling in Dutch, English or German. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Audi
11-27-2006, 03:31 PM
78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen.

HRFats
11-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Laptop on coffee table, me sitting on couch with a roller ball type mouse, TV on (Leno, Conan and Carson Daily) and one light on behind me to the left so I can see the keyboard in case I want to send a chat message. I never drink while playing but always kill a beer after a session.

Redskins5326
11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Im trying out a new setup, I connected my computer to an LCD TV, and bought a wireless mouse and keyboard. So I lay down on my couch and play 3 or 4 tables on a nice, big TV. So far I love it.

KittyLiquor
11-27-2006, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

63% nitrogen, 17% oxygen, 25% smoke

illeagle
11-27-2006, 11:41 PM
I usually have the tv on though I don't really watch it. I also keep a small lamp on, so I can look around the room at different distances occasionally to give my eyes some exercise, focusing at different distances instead of staring at the monitor all night.

Redskins5326
11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first one equals 99 percent

and the second one equals 105 percent

Slim Pickens
11-28-2006, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first one also includes the balance of argon, CO2, and others. The second one may be referenced to the density of the standard atmosphere, indicating the air in KittyLiquor's place is heavy. Stop being a nit.

Redskins5326
11-28-2006, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first one also includes the balance of argon, CO2, and others. The second one may be referenced to the density of the standard atmosphere, indicating the air in KittyLiquor's place is heavy. Stop being a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was jk but gg, you win.

Borgland
11-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Kidding myself.

Slim Pickens
11-28-2006, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was jk but gg, you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

*chorus of "I am the Champions" a la Homer Simpson*

arkhult
11-28-2006, 07:46 AM
5-tabling 6max-FL on my laptop and 20" screen. TV on. Surfin on 3-4 sites. Feet on subwoofer. Using credit card to hide the cards on "exciting" hands to avoid boredom. Preferably playing in just underwear. Not eating or drinking except a beer on fridays /images/graemlins/wink.gif