PDA

View Full Version : BBC UK TV - Panorama - Internet Gambling

mackem
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
It's on BBC1 now. A lad has turned £2000 into £6000 but now they are showing how bad it is.

It's halfway through and they have now gone to America to show what's happening.

You can watch it on the BBC site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/default.stm

mackem
11-26-2006, 07:00 PM
It's BBC propaganda to stop internet gambling. The lad eventually lost it all and some woman lost £22k on the gee gee's. He feels numb etc and this is all bad stuff.

At the start he asks the lad to double his cash, which he did. He then told him to keep going and he made more. He then lost some and went to just above profit but he told him keep going. Basically it was better for the programme if he lost.

They interviewed some sandalist who says its all bad.

I pay TV license fee for this stuff.

nufc4ever
11-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Ye, it seemed to get more and more biased towards the end, and as ever their were a few misinformed idiots talking rubbish.

was pretty funny to see declan broke though, and the poker player just wanted to laugh im pretty sure.

Sniper
11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Good example of... bad bankroll management!

tehDiceman
11-27-2006, 12:16 AM
i'm waitin till it hits the torrents, they have a 34k stream on their site, screw that. i'll get near-dvd quality in a few hours. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

the real question is, did you see this going any differently? their government is just trying to pretend like it gives a 2 cent about what is going on. they want to look like the good guys although they have no problems cashing all the "tax checks" their getting from it.

Tony Corbett
11-27-2006, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's BBC propaganda to stop internet gambling. The lad eventually lost it all and some woman lost £22k on the gee gee's. He feels numb etc and this is all bad stuff.

At the start he asks the lad to double his cash, which he did. He then told him to keep going and he made more. He then lost some and went to just above profit but he told him keep going. Basically it was better for the programme if he lost.

They interviewed some sandalist who says its all bad.

I pay TV license fee for this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you were paying attention the reporter gave him $2000 not £2000. The online pro doubled this in a couple of days. Reporter tells him to carry on and after a bunch of interviews they return at the end of the month and the online pro as had a bad run and the reporter is back to double his original stake. Reporter then inists as it's the last day of the month to up the stakes and "go for it" and he loses the lot, very staged. If you read the website it mentions the online pro advising against this last day "allin move" but I guess that gem of advice got cut from the final edit.

As for the woman she lost closer to £500,000 than £22,000 most of which she'd stolen from the bank she worked at, theres always one.

All in all very tabloid in style and quality of journalism.

vabogee
11-27-2006, 04:52 AM
The "lad" is True from SSNL.

sputum
11-27-2006, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the reporter gave him $2000 not £2000

[/ QUOTE ]
In bills /images/graemlins/grin.gif
The poor guy didn't know what to do when he was handed them.

Richas
11-27-2006, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the woman she lost closer to £500,000 than £22,000 most of which she'd stolen from the bank she worked at, theres always one

[/ QUOTE ]
She thought she had stolen £60,000 but had really nicked £460,000 - that is really bad bankroll management.

The programme was terrible with the government case for regulation given very little time, just a couple of soundbites used to confirm that the goverment is against prohibition rather than a real chance to put the case for regulation.

They even used the footage from the international conference on regulation (32 countries without mentioning them) right next to a claim that the UK was out of line with international opinion by regulating rather than banning. Declan - the US is the maverick not the UK and the US is doing it for protectionist reasons - something a journalist should have covered.

mackem
11-27-2006, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you were paying attention the reporter gave him $2000 not £2000. The online pro doubled this in a couple of days. Reporter tells him to carry on and after a bunch of interviews they return at the end of the month and the online pro as had a bad run and the reporter is back to double his original stake. Reporter then inists as it's the last day of the month to up the stakes and "go for it" and he loses the lot, very staged. If you read the website it mentions the online pro advising against this last day "allin move" but I guess that gem of advice got cut from the final edit.

As for the woman she lost closer to £500,000 than £22,000 most of which she'd stolen from the bank she worked at, theres always one.

All in all very tabloid in style and quality of journalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I realised after I posted that it was $2000 but didn't edit it because it turned out it didn't realy matter how much the lad had because he would have still told him to play higher stakes at the end regardless of how much he had.

I think he had less than $2000 near the end and was playing for $1000 pots. When he had about $500 he was all in short stacked.

I didn't really listen to the woman. We hear too many of those stories in the news now and it boils my piss that someone should consider banning something that 1 million people play because some person has a bad gambling problem. I've played online poker since the beginning and have never felt sick when I've lost as I play with money I can afford. Which is what the majority do.

Same as the people who bet in bookmakers every day.

Absolute garbage investigating journalism.

mackem
11-27-2006, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The "lad" is True from SSNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seemed like he was playing at Interpoker and I noticed he played with a hud. An interview with him giving the other side of the 'gambling is bad' argument would have been fair. In reality they showed him as an over confident 'gambler' who had is come uppance at the end.

Sniper
11-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Link to True's thread in SSNL (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8181619)